Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need help, front driver side squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 02:27 PM
HCF Member
Default Need help, front driver side squeaking

First let me say that I have replaced the struts, sway bar bushings, and upper control arm bushings along with upper ball joints within the last year or so. I checked all bolts/nuts and all are tight.

I've had this new noise for a few days, figured it might go away, but it keeps recurring.

The sound comes strictly from the front drivers side, near the lower ball joint/hub area.

-If I turn the wheel, sometimes it squeaks
-If I bounce the left side of the car it squeaks

When installing my struts I did tear the drivers side lower ball joint, but had some energy suspension ball joint boots handy, greased them up and installed the cover. The ball joint cover still looks good. So I'm assuming this is not a problem.

The tie rods have no tears in the boots and when I try to move the wheel by hand and there's no play, so I'm assuming this is not a problem.

There is no grinding or clunk, just a squeak that I can hear mainly when I'm idle. Sometimes I can hear it at low speeds while turning and it seems to squeak on the initial movement of the steering wheel. The noise does not occur if I turn the wheel after half rotation, but it squeaks turning either way.

Thanks for any help

Old 06-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Have you checked for a bent wheel splash guard that may be rubbing on the brake rotor?

Old 06-14-2010, 06:11 PM
HCF Member

I didn't, but that usually has a scraping sound, it's happened before.

I'll check it out though.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:56 AM

My car is having the same problem. I also had a scraping sound from the splash guard on the rotor and have taken care of that, but this squeaking has me stumped. Do let me know if you figure it out.