Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New member needing advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 07:06 PM
Default New member needing advice

I purchased a 2001 Honda Civic back in February. Currently I've had to replace the valve cover gasket, VTEC switch, EGR valve, and I've also done a tune up on the vehicle.

My check engine light has come back on. The codes were for the following:
ELD electric Load High Voltage
Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1
Thermostat Below Regulating Temp

I'm also battling a terrible oil leak coming from somewhere on the passenger side of my motor right below where the EGR valve sits.

thanks!

Old 07-31-2014, 07:42 PM
HCF Member

the ELD and bank 1 are primary oxygen sensor related so replace your primary oxygen sensor but only i repeat only use NTK or DENSO i prefer denso. the oxygen sensors are really only good for 35,000 40,000 miles even if there's no code. the Thermostat most likely needs replacing but it could be other things. the oil leak is coming from your rear cam seal they always leak especially on hondas i just replaced mine on a 04. you should have replaced it with the EGR and valve cover removed.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 07-31-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:50 AM

Thanks so much. The 2nd leak wasnt readily noticeable at the time the valve cover was removed due to the fact that the valve cover leak was SO BAD that I even thought my pan gasket was leaking, but it was just the residual oil being blown back as I drove.

these 3 codes didnt appear until after replacing the EGR valve and VTEC switch, resetting he MIL and driving to reset the computer. glad to know these issues arent terrible. I'm a single mom with enough mechanical sense to be able to do the work MOSTLY on my own, but its my primary vehicle at the moment so down time is limited, even if I don't travel far on a normal day. 2 year olds dont make good hitch hikers (KIDDING!)

again, thank you so much!

Old 08-01-2014, 08:40 PM
HCF Member

yeah at first i thought my valve cover gasket was leaking but it was just the cam seal leak working its way around the valve cover from the engine vibrations.