Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

NO POWER!! Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 02:26 PM
Exclamation NO POWER!! Please help

Ok this is a long story but, I have a 94 honda civic del sol. The chassis is a b series but I have rebuilt a d15 for it. I have a problem with the power, there is nothing. No lights, no clicking, no radio, nothing. We know the battery is good and all the negatives are connected. This issue originally started with a non vtec harness, (motor is not vtec) but ive changed the harness. when it started it had no power then it would randomly turn on if left for 10+ minutes but the minute you turned the key it died. This happened 2-3 times before it cut out. We replaced the under the hood fuse box and nothing, all fuses (hood/cabin) are good. All the wiring is right and the negatives are all on.

the only thing we can think of is the ignation switch is bad. and heres my question, does anyone know how to test that theory or have any other ideas?

please let me know, thanks.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Do the headlights work? If not there is no power on the main power / ground circuits from the battery, since the headlights don't go through the ignition switch.

Do you have a voltmeter? It's essential for this situation since you can't see electricity.

Then you could take the column cover off and probe for voltage going in and out of the ignition switch.

Another test is to pull the brake handle up and watch the brake warning light when you turn the key on and off. It should be on in the on and start positions. It is connected to the same circuit from the key as the ignition.

But really this situation calls for going through the circuit step by step using a schematic and a voltmeter.

Last edited by mk378; 03-28-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:15 AM

there is no power at all, with or without the key, the flashers dont work, nothing at all, i will test and post later, any ideas currently?