Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise while driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 05:42 PM
HCF Member
Default Noise while driving

I think my front left wheel bearing is making noise, when I take right turns the noise gets a bit louder on the front left wheel and when I take lefts you can't hear it much. When the speed increases in the car the noise gets faster. I am pretty sure it's the wheel bearing because I dont know what else it could be. One of my older cars had a bearing problem so I recognize the sound, I also had a friend of mine drive the car (who knows about car mechanics) and he thinks its the same thing. The noise isn't too loud at all but it is enough to raise my concerns and within time I think it will only get worse.

I can buy a front wheel bearing at Autozone, my only question is, is it hard to replace? I am handy with tools because I work with them everyday but haven't done anything close to this, other than changing rotors and breaks. Is this similar to it, has anyone else replaced a wheel bearing, do I need special tools, do I need to remove other parts (other than the rotors) to get this done by my self?
I had one of my friends tell me that I can try greasing it, however I don't know if it will help. I bought the car from a dealer and I think it had been sitting there for a little while which could be the reason why.

By the way my car is a 2001 Civic EX.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Noise while driving

After removal of the wheel hub, you would need special tools and a press to remove the wheel bearing and install a new one. You may be able to save money by removing the hub yourself and then having a shop replace the bearing.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:12 PM
HCF Member

I may just do that Ron, thanks. Either that or Ill just go to Autozone tomorow and ask if I can purchase a hub/bearing assembly for the front, on the site they only have the rear for assembly.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:59 AM

I have changed wheel bearings and you don't have to always press fit them. you just tap out the bearing with a punch to take them out and then just put the hub on and tighten the hub nut to specifications. it would set the bearing in place. But i haven't done a civic bearing yet. It might be different.