Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Not Shifting 01 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 08:26 AM
Default Not Shifting 01 Civic

My wife just bought a 01 Civic with 60,000 miles. A week after the purchase she noticed that the car wasn't moving well after an hour drive. That weekend the car overheated while I was driving it and the reservoir cap blew off. Last weekend the car left us stranded after a long drive with the car not wanting to move into gear. The engine is revving.

We contacted the seller and he didn't know the cars history well. When I test drove it the car ran and shifted fine. He had it evaluated by a mechanic and flushed the tranny twice and replaced the water pump because it was leaking.

Yesterday it left us stranded again. The car seems to do fine on short drives. But on a drive of an hour or more once it stops it has little to no power like a slipping clutch but its an auto.

So I'm thinking its either the torque converter or somehow a sensor is thinking the car is overheating and shutting down the transmission. I still don't have a reservoir cap on it but I have one in the coming. Any ideas? Are the issues related or separate.