Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Please help with this persistent issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 12:35 AM
HCF Member
Default Please help with this persistent issue

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm getting any responses any time soon, but I'll post anyway.

My question is regarding cheap knock off parts.

Say, a Chinese made evaporator coil that's available for $60 vs a Thai manufactured one that goes for $120 (according to AC repair shops here, apparently it's considered genuine) vs the one you get at the dealership - $320.....

How much of a performance difference would one expect between the three? I'm currently on a Chinese one, as the AC repair tech told me it performs as well as the genuine one. Well, it's not doing the job it's supposed to, and cooling is nowhere as good during the daytime, like it used to, when it had the factory stock part installed.

By getting the Thai manufactured one, how much of a performance improvement can I expect? The Honda one is not even on my list, they're charging too much for it.

My AC system checks out fine; high and low pressures normal, compressor good to go, condenser's fine. Had the receiver dryer and expansion valve changed as well. But that has improved cooling performance only after late afternoon, not during the day, when it's been parked in the sun for more than an hour. I also had it evacuated and flushed completely before adding comp. oil and refrigerant.

Please somebody, help me with this dilemma. Summers are practically at their peak and I can't be driving around for 15 mins, just waiting for the AC to start cooling properly during the day.

Does the Chinese evaporator core need to go then?