Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Power Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 06:50 PM
HCF Member
Default Power Sunroof

Does anyone else in a 5th gen have intermittent problems with the sunroof motor? If it sits out in the sun it just wont work. I know one day I am gonna get to work and not be able to close it and come out to find an EG aquarium.

Btw- what's the difference between a sunroof and a moonroof?

Old 06-28-2005, 10:55 PM
Default RE: Power Sunroof

Never had that problem before, sounds like you may need a new motor soon thou.
The difference between a sunroof and moonroof is simple.
A sunroom is solid meaning when closed you just see a square outline from the top of the car.
A moonroof is glass meaning you can see thru it all the time if the owner has the cover open.
Other that that both tilt and open just one is glass and one is solid. Hope this helps...

Old 11-28-2007, 09:06 PM

I have an '07 Civic EX... and it's pretty much brand new, but it's doing the same thing. I just went to the honda dealership to get it checked out, but they said the switch, and fuses were good. I have a feeling that it has something to do with some bad soldering. There was a thread on here or another forum about something else having bad soldering and the way to desolder and resolder it properly. But since my car is still under warrenty, I'm just gonna have them check it out.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:11 PM

Bump

Old 11-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member

so far no problems with either of my moonroofs...
tho my 94 moonroof it is alittle slow and seems to WANT to stick when venting it. but sliding back and closing has never had any problems just alittle slow... asume it just needs lubed just to lazy to lube it.LOL i dont realy open mine to much tho.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:30 AM

yeah since it's pretty cold out, i haven't really needed to open my moonroof either, but when i got the car, it was pretty hot. having black exterior along with black interior didn't help either, so i figured maybe opening the moonroof while the car warmed up, but didn't want to open... the day after, i thought maybe it was just stuck closed, so i cracked it open a bit so it can vent a little. but it was stuck open for 20 minutes, and closed it and kept it closed. and one day, when it wasn't even hot out, perfect weather to have the moonroof open and music up high, decided to open it while i'm driving... silly me... after i parked and wanted to close my moonroof, it didn't even move, or make any noise. just didn't work, and 2 hours later in the shade, i was able to close my moonroof. if i bought a used car, i'd understand. but not when it's brand new. that's what's frustrating about it.

and when i brought it in for an oil change and to see if they can figure it out, i left it in the sun, and it wasn't working when i brought it to the dealer.... however, i guess there was a linebefore me, and couldn't get to it while it wasn't working. it was just sitting where i parked it for 30 minutes before someone brought it back. and i guess that was enough time for it to cool off. it was also pretty cold that day. what made me more upset was that, in the process of checking the switch/fuses/wiring... whoever opened the switch scratched it up. now, if i brought it to some other mechanic, i'd expect something like that, but not from the honda dealer. i showed it to one of the workers, so they're going to order the switch and surrounding trim and replace it for free. but seriously, shouldn't they know how to open it without damaging it, like putting a piece of cloth or rubber on the tool to prevent damaging plastic?