Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Problem with Creaking/Grinding sounds from Rear-Center of Engine Bay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:22 PM
HCF Member
Default Problem with Creaking/Grinding sounds from Rear-Center of Engine Bay?

Got a 92 Civic LX with 189,000 miles(automatic).

Today I started hearing this a creaking sound from the front of the car, it's more near the center of the engine bay & it only happens when I turn from 10 to 2 O'clock, and at speeds around 25mph & below. If I speed up above 25 it disappears.
Odd thing is when I came out the store today & started driving in the parking lot(slowly), I didn't hear it(this is after I discovered the creaking)..after a few minutes of driving I started to hear it again.

I'm trying to figure out what it could be. I got my Rack & Pinion replaced last year around this time & never had any issues with it since. I know it's not the brakes because the noise is coming more from the rear-center of the engine bay.

The noise is so irritating! It almost sounds like grinding alittle. Does anyone have suggestions on what it could be or what to check?
While checking would I need to remove something? I know when it comes to the suspension & steering areas you have to have some special tools.
What tools would I need when I check(besides sockets & wrenches)?

Old 02-12-2011, 11:55 AM
HCF Member

Just an update.

I Took off the front wheels & checked my tie rods, axles, all my boots, I even check my front suspension & everything is good other than the 2 small leaks I have from the oil pan & master brake cylinder.
I turned the steering wheel in my garage trying to re-enact the noise but no dice.
It only makes the noise(creaking noise with alittle bit of grinding) when I'm on the road going 25mph or less.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Edit: I found a video that is the same exact problem I have..Notice he doesn't have to move the wheel much to make the sound(same issue with mine).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtAmJNdfsWI

Last edited by Mecca8383; 02-12-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

On the video, he thinks the noise is from the column inside the car. Is the noise from inside the car then?

Old 02-12-2011, 03:43 PM
HCF Member

I think I solved the creaking problem. The sound was coming from the steering wheel column. I didn't see any issues with the rack & pinion(outside the car) so I took off the plastic cover for the column(from inside the car) and greased up the whole column real good with bearing grease. Took it on a 4 mile ride with many turns & didn't hear a thing.

Either it was the column rubbing against the plastic cover or the column just needed some lube. But problem solved...for now!

Last edited by Mecca8383; 02-12-2011 at 03:52 PM.