Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem starting my car. (97 Civic EX)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Default Problem starting my car. (97 Civic EX)

I've had this problem occasionally where my car wouldn't start, but after a while it would. But today was different, my car wouldn't start at all. Again, i have a 1997 Honda Civic EX, AT. The accessory slots work just fine, like my radio, ac, and everything, but when i go to start my car, it doesnt even turn over, crank, or anything. I think i said everything that is relevent but if you need more info, i can tell you. Can anyone help me?

Old 08-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Problem starting my car. (97 Civic EX)

Probably the starter itself. When worn out, they get where they sometimes go, sometimes not, of course with every start the chances of "not" get higher. Another thing that can do it is the safety switch, if you can shift in and out of park a few times and get it to reliably start it would be that. Also make sure the cable connections to the battery are tight.

The starter can be tested by disconnecting the small wire at the starter, connect a jumper wire between the terminal on the starter for the small wire and the battery (+). Now the engine should turn. But before you do this you want to be sure the car won't move, which means: key OFF, Transmission in Park, and e-brake set. If it does crank in the jumper test but you can't start it with the key that means the battery and starter are OK but the safety switch, key switch, anti-theft, relay etc. are the problem.