Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Radio Sticks on (2001 Civic)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Default Radio Sticks on (2001 Civic)

My '01 EX 4-door just started having an issue where, maybe 5% of the days I drive to or from work (60min+ each way) the stock radio will stop responding to input and, when I turn the car off, stays on. This means that, once I notice it, none of the buttons will respond (vol/channel/tuning/cd eject) and I have to turn the car off, take out the key - everything's still on at this point - and disconnect the battery to get it to turn off.

Once I reconnect the battery, everything behaves normally and I can turn it on, put in the code, and everything's peachy until it randomly happens again 2 weeks later.

The car is used and therefore didn't come with a user manual or an internal fuse box cover/panel (!!!) but, I pulled every fuse and the thing stayed on...I suspect it's a relay? but the user's manual I found online only showed fuse positions not relays. It could be a bad radio or a harness with a short, but the fact that the display freezes and the buttons become unresponsive is really confusing...

Has this happened to anyone else?

Best,

Andy

Old 06-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Banned

Its bazaar for a 2001 , if you have some free time actually take the stereo Out of its housing and just check all the wiring make sure nothing is loose .

I have an after market deck and i've owned it for a few years now bought it used and in the past year it over heats on me and either freezes doesn't play music snaps out etc..

If you think that heat maybe the issue try setting the A/C on medium setting close your side air vents and close the front ones half way ( if its a heating issue ) and see if it helps.

If none of the above work go spend 1-200 bucks get a nice brand new deck ( i recommend Alpine or clarion or kenwood ) you'll love it