Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

rebuilding engine or fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 11:03 PM
Default rebuilding engine or fix

Hi
I have a 2000 honda civic si. The pistons are bent or something the compression ratio dropped. So i was trying to decide to swap the internals to GSR (cams, pistons, etc.) It would still have the b16 block, or just install new stock or type r pistons plus type r cams. Any Ideas? If i decide to go with type r piston and cams will i need to get my ecu chipped? same goes for stock pistons and type r cams. Any Pros and cons about any of these?[/align]

Old 04-22-2007, 06:57 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: rebuilding engine or fix

Bent pistons? Compression drop is probably the rings.

You obviously can't use ITR pistons in a B16, but the cams are good to go. A better choice would the be the CTR cams. They are the hottest OEM cam. Be sure to get at least the intake valve springs for the CTR too though if you do go that route.

As far as chipping the ecu- tuning is always a good idea- especially if you raise compression. With just the cams you might be ok without, but to get the most out of them some tuning should be considered.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:53 PM

it depends on what u want. new motor it will be on the road faster less trouble to. but if want boost rebuild for boost of fast n/a i would say up to u

Old 04-22-2007, 04:59 PM

well either way i have to open up the engine because of its problem, so i was told to upgrade and make it worth it. I got a bunch of spare parts, i got like all the gsr parts, from pistons, cams and everything internal. I was probably gonna swap the internals and make it a b16 gsr or something. But i also thought of just fixing the problems if its just the rods or rings, then maybe install some ctr cams. In your opinion which would make more power?