Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing an engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 06:10 PM
HCF Member
Default replacing an engine

Gents:
Going to replace the engine in my 95 ex coupe. On my short list of things to do while i'm at it:

timing belt
clutch
starter ?
alternator
water pump?

Anything else come to the minds of those that have done this job?

northwoods

Old 04-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

definetly do the timing belt and water pump if they were never done before.

clutch, if its never been done before then do it.

stater, dont worry about it if the one you have isnt broke

alternator, thats up to you, I never replace one when doing the engine but if you feel more comfort doing it while the engine is out then do it, but again myself I would only replace it if it was broke.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The starter and alternator are generally not replaced until they quit working. The starter is very simple to replace with the engine in the car.

The alternator is a little harder to get out of the car past the engine and axles, but it can be done. Note that the engine cannot be lifted out of the car with the alternator still attached. You must unbolt it first and set it aside to have clearance to rotate the engine as you lift it. Same for putting the new engine in. While you have the left CV axle pulled out of the transmission it is very easy to work on the alternator.

If the car has air conditioning you can leave the system charged during engine replacement; do not disconnect any refrigerant lines. Unbolt the compressor from the engine bracket and lower it out of the way with the lines still attached.

If you have some time, you could inspect the clutch when you get it apart and if it is not worn much just use it, otherwise buy clutch parts at that time.