Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rocker Arm Assembly Removal Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Default Rocker Arm Assembly Removal Necessary?

Hello all,

I am new this forum and I have a question. I did a search already but to no avail, so if this has already been covered I apologize:

I am doing a head gasket on my 94 civic SOHC and I've been following the Haynes Manual so far which got me up to the point where it says I have to remove the rocker arm assembly (and camshaft). I have browsed other less detailed guides on head gasket replacement, or even cylinder head removal and they do not mention the rocker arm assembly or camshaft in the process.

The main reason I ask is because the manual says it needs to be removed before I loosen the cylinder head bolts, but more than that it tells me to loosen the "camshaft bearing cap bolts 1/4 turn at a time". Which ones are the camshaft bearing bolts? Are there 16 of them, cuz if so, then I know which ones they are talking about, I just don't want to mess anything up this late in the game.

Any help or information regarding this at all is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You don't need to remove the rocker arm assembly. Take out the 10 large head bolts, working from the outside to the inside (the opposite of the tightening sequence). The head comes off as a unit with cam and rockers in place.

Haynes manuals tell you to do a lot of unnecessary stuff. For example you don't need to remove the CV axle nuts and take the axles out of the car to R&R the engine / transmission assembly. Simply undo the lower ball joints and swing the hubs out to make clearance to get the axles out of the transmission. The axles then stay with the car.

Last edited by mk378; 05-06-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:16 PM

that is awesome news, I didn't see how it was necessary but what do I know, I had to double check. Thank you for the quick reply!

Old 05-06-2011, 06:22 PM

Go to hondatech.info: Honda service manuals and download the factory service manual in PDF format. It's much more detailed than a Haynes manual.