Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

serious mess can anyone help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Default serious mess can anyone help

ok im give everyone a complete break down of this mess/story... i had a 98 civic lx 4 door with a d16y7 untill my old lady spun it around and backed it in to a tree. so i bought a 96 2 door, i dont know if its a dx or wat. the coupe had a blown d16y7 with 8mm msd wires, cold air intake and a header back exhaust with apexi muffler. so i took my motor put the wires, cold air and i bought new header because the old one didnt have holes for the o2 sensors. it runs good but when your driving in gear around 2-3000 rpms itll kinda like stumble and hesitate then clear up and go. well today i was driving and it started to missfire and run like complete crap, got home ran the codes and it was misfiring on 3 differ cylinders and also blew a code for random cylinder misfire. so i changed the plugs because the were what id call burning to hot.(kinda white and bone dry). now the cel stays of but when you step on the throttle its a lil choppy untill you get it reved up or if your driving and just ease the throttle itll go but if you stomp on it just bogs out kinda like its misfiring but idont know. ive adjusted the idle to see if i could clear it up and it dont seem to make a difference. so im thinking its either the wires are shot or im not running the right plugs for the mods that ive got. maybe the fuel system is the problem? when i did the motor swap i used the ecu from the car with the blown motor and thought maybe i need to put the one from the 98? this problem is driving me crazy and i dont know where to start. the other question i had was that the coupe had some gay *** ford secerity system in that i took out and could i have missed something that it was spidered into cause the problems. im thinking its fuel or ignition i just dont know which. please help this is my only car at the moment and really need some help.thanks alot everyone.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Plug wires, distributor cap, rotor -- replace them.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:35 AM

hey ron do i need to upgrade the fuel system if im just running upgraded wires or if i change the car rotor and wires should everything be ok?

Old 04-13-2010, 06:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Take the stock wires from the wrecked car and use them. There's really no need for "upgraded" wires other than they look cool (on the outside, anyway...). With just intake, header and exhaust mods, there will be no problems running the stock ignition, plugs, and fuel system.