Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 11:36 PM
Default starter problems

I have a 85 civic and for one reason or another I go through about 3 to 4 starters a year. My alternator is good, battery is good. I've also had my electrition re-wire the car because prior owners mickey moused with the wiring. Im about to go through my second starter. My question is this.... What is the major melfunction of this vehicle?? Im real tired and frustrated. Im open for suggestions.

Thank you in advance....

Samantha

Old 01-15-2006, 03:15 AM
Default RE: starter problems

try having your sparky check that all wiring are of the correct sizing and that the starter has good earth. its not continuasly running after you start the car is it because that could be the cause of premature failure. hope that helps as it is a bit hard trying to diagnose on the net.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:04 PM

Let me clairfy a bit. here is the scenario. I have lifetime warranty on my starter, but the thing is, im going through about 3-4 of them a year. When i install a new starter, things seem to work fine for about 3-4 months, then it starts to act up and f-ups again. I take it back, they test the starter, turns out bad, they give me a new one, same thing over and over, they cant all be bad, my car must be doing something wrong, killing starters or something. When it starts acting up, here is what i notice, i turn the key to acc position, things are fine, when i get to starting postion, it cuts out, my lights go off, radio turns off, everything electrical turns off. Im weak in electrical, but i think i have an "open" in the ON position, any suggestions? anyone? thank you all!

Old 01-17-2006, 10:13 PM
HCF Member

I think that all the electrical stuff is suppose to shut off while you crank the car over, my radio shuts off momentaraly when i crank my civic. It gives more power to the starter so if you have a low battery, your car will still start.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

I think that all the electrical stuff is suppose to shut off while you crank the car over, my radio shuts off momentaraly when i crank my civic. It gives more power to the starter so if you have a low battery, your car will still start.
^this is true...if i were you i would be checking the mechanical things as well like your flywheel's condition...as well as looking for problems in your power and ground wires from the starter itself.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:34 PM
HCF Member

This may sound sillybut have you ever tried a different mechanic for a second opinion?