Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering rack question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:20 PM
kma
HCF Member
Default Steering rack question

I just got my steering rack replaced today because I had a leakage......there was play in my steering BEFORE the change and there still is AFTER but I gotta take it back because the mechanic forgot to line up the wheels before putting everything back together [>:], so now my wheel's sorta tilted (Gonna take it back to fix that tomorrow). But strangely, my horn doesn't work anymore. I tested the horn by activating my alarm so I know the horn still works (also checked the fuse anyway for kicks). I saw someone mention a problem with their airbags after removing steering rack. Can anyone tell me what the steering knuckle has to do with the horn suddenly not working and how to fix it?! I really can't drive without my horn, accidents are more likely here without one at night. Also, why is there still play in the steering wheel? Oh, one last thing......I noticed a few minutes ago on the way home that when I go over a speed bump it sounds like something moved....I'm strongly leaning toward the steering rack being slack or something seeing that the sound wasn't there before. So....those 3 questions.....any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Steering rack question

On a 1992 or later, the horn and air bag connect thru a "clock spring" to the wheel. If a mechanic is not real careful when working on the steering, the clock spring can get turned too far and break. The horn and air bag will not work after that happens. The fix is of course to replace the clock spring, but it's an expensive part.

There are two u-joints in the shaft between the wheel and the rack, if those are bad or the bolts are loose, there will be play in the steering. Normally they are covered up by a plastic cover in the brake pedal area, but you can remove that to inspect them.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:48 PM
kma
HCF Member
Default RE: Steering rack question

[sm=jawdrop.gif]I DID hear something snap when I first turned the wheel after I got it back, I told the mechanic the wheel didn't feel right and he was like "don't worry about that" til I really stressed about not being comfortable with the problem. So now I guess I need a clock spring too.....where's that located exactly? I may be able to get one. I have a 96 civic lx 4dr a/t sedan. I saw a 97 civic 2 dr m/t. Not really a car person.....would the clock spring work out of that? and how hard is that to remove?