Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Stuck Door Lock (key side)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Angry Stuck Door Lock (key side)

When I try to open the passenger door from the outside with my key and the lock seems to be frozen and doesn't move at all. This has been going on for about a year and previously I used to lube it with some silicone and it would work, however, that's no longer the case and it's just STUCK. I can open it from the inside but that is just TOO hard. Any good advise I can hear from you guys would be appreciated.

A.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:32 PM

I would recommend removing the door panel and looking at the mechanism itself from the inside. If the lock is just stuck due to dirt or rust on the inside, you can remove the door handle itself from the inside and take the lock mechanism off the handle, allowing you to immerse it in oil or simply fill it with WD40 or Houdini lock spray.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:57 PM

Do you know of a link were I can find directions to do this? Do I need any special tools? Thaks for your help

A.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well since you didnt say what year model you have.... no telling

removing the door panels are relitivly easy and then you just pull back the plastic moisture shield and you can just look in and around to see the lock mechanism.....
you could try to soak it down with some penatrating oil and work the lock with the key repeatly to try and get it moving smoothly. if that doesnt work youll have to pull the linkages off the lock cylinder and handle if they are combined to pull the handle.lock cylinder out after unbolting it... and then try the lock with it off the car or linkage removed which ever is easier for you..... if the lock cylindre moves freely with it off the car then its either a bent linkage rod or something in the latch mechanism that is sticking. move the rod by hand to see if its stuck either spray it down with penatrating oil or just replace it.