Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Swooshing Sound When Using Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Default Swooshing Sound When Using Wipers

I own and 1996 Honda Civic LX with 172, 000 miles. During the heavy rain today I noticed my wipers were making a swooshing sound when they were in use at variable speed. When the windshield was dry this would not occur. What is causing the swooshing sound? I replaced my wipers about 2 months ago. Thanks Daniel

Old 09-27-2010, 02:11 PM
HCF Member

Um, the noise made from the wipers wiping water off makes a swooshing sound...

Old 09-27-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by theblackpearl
Um, the noise made from the wipers wiping water off makes a swooshing sound...
Granted, but this sounds like is coming from under the hood. This is not the normal wiping sound. I did not hear this sound before.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:52 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by dan-lemm2001
Granted, but this sounds like is coming from under the hood. This is not the normal wiping sound. I did not hear this sound before.
Back in a day with cars of that era, you always heard swooshing sound every time you used wipers regardless of wiper speed.

"I did not hear this sound before"??
It doesn't mean there was no sound back then. It doesn't mean that you are not going to hear it in the future.

It could be from radio. Turn radio/stereo off and operate the wipers and see what happens.

It could be the wiper motor need replacing. Noise filter may be bad, if such thing is in the wiper motor/system.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by maachan513
Back in a day with cars of that era, you always heard swooshing sound every time you used wipers regardless of wiper speed.

"I did not hear this sound before"??
It doesn't mean there was no sound back then. It doesn't mean that you are not going to hear it in the future.

It could be from radio. Turn radio/stereo off and operate the wipers and see what happens.

It could be the wiper motor need replacing. Noise filter may be bad, if such thing is in the wiper motor/system.

~ I tested the wipers dry at all speeds with the radio on and off and both times it was just the sound of the wipers on the windshield, no swooshing sound.

~ I added wiper fluid, squirted it at constant pace and ran the wipers (radio both on and off) and as more water was wiped the sound swooshing sound came back. It sound like its coming from the drivers side. I assume that is were the motor is. Are there 2 motors?

Thanks

Old 09-29-2010, 10:18 AM
HCF Member

My 90 Civic has it on right side, I don't know about your model. You could go online Honda parts site and check it for your model on their IPC.