Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Default Timing Belt problem

My car is a VTEC 2001 model civic. In February of this year it cross the 100000 KM mark. I changed the timing belt, tensioner and water pump. Recently the car couldn't start. It was checked out and the problem was the timing belt. It chewed. It was changed. The car ran for a day and when it was started the next day. It did not start. The timing was again checked. This time the tensioner was damaged. This was changed. The car ran for a day again and when it was restarted the next day, it could not start. Why? What could be the problem?

Old 07-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Timing Belt problem

Who is installing the timing belt? It sounds as though the belt is not being installed correctly. This is a serious problem as major engine damage can occur when the belt fails.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:37 PM

Ron,
An experience mechanic is working on the car. He used the civic manual to install the timinig belt. My problem is trying t understand why this happen.
1. Why did the replacemnt belt get chewed.
2. After repalcing the belt, the car worked for a day then when it was restarted it did not work. It was discovered that the tensioner was damaged. The stop on the tensioner was sheared.What will cause this?
3. Replace the tensioner adjust the belt according to manufactures specifications ran the car for a whaile and stop and rest. On restarting the car belt slips again.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Again, unless you provide contrary information, my best guess would be improper belt installation, possibly in the final belt tensioning procedure or failure to torque the tensioner bolt to specification.

Also, are new genuine Honda replacement parts being used?

Old 07-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I agree you need a different mechanic, or he needs to learn how to do it properly (hopefully on someone else's car). The tensioner does not move during operation. The spring and pivot is ONLY to initially set the tension with the engine NOT running. After tension is set, the bolt needs to be TIGHT.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:11 AM
HCF Member

yeah, or even worse he is using the wrong belt and this will continue to happen.

I would take it to a dealership, ASAFP. i am sure he is an experienced mechanic but the dealership guys won't need to look at a manual to tell you wtf he may have done wrong or how much damage may have already been done.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Wrong belt is certainly a possibility, or wrong water pump that doesn't match the belt. Leaving the flat guide washers off of the crankshaft, or putting them on backwards, will let the belt move to the side and get chewed up from the edge. But none of those problems should affect the tensioner.