Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Timing belt questions????

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:48 PM
HCF Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ed Fisher
I'm a firm believer in buying genuine Honda parts. Auto manufacturers, and any large corporation actually, have engineers that spend copious amounts of time/effort qualifying parts suppliers to ensure that nothing substandard is put into their marque that could tarnish the name. That said, even Japanese suppliers can have problems, and even though I am angry with Honda over a poor headgasket design, which I ultimately had to resolve myself, I still purchase genuine Honda OEM parts. My time is worth too much to spend it replacing 'lifetime warranty' sub-assemblies from the Auto Parts stores, repeatedly, and before they should have worn out. Couple that with being potentially stranded, or, in your case paying shop rates to have the parts removed/installed, it just seems to make sense to use the best available.

Majestic Honda has an online parts store from which they sell genuine Honda parts at, or very near, wholesale prices. A quick Google search will get you there. The shipping is reasonable and the service is quick.

As has been already said, I find standard replacements during a timing belt change to be:
Timing belt
Tensioner/idler pulley assy
Cam seal(s)
Cranks seal
Water pump
In addition, if your valve cover must be displaced to get the upper timing chain cover off (I don't know your particular engine) I would replace that gasket as well. They are not that expensive

Also, just as an added maintenance/visual verification, I like to keep my engine compartment clean and free of accumulated dirt/oil that can hide potential small problems, i.e., small oil leaks, white deposits from a pinhole in radiator/hose, brake fluid at the master/clutch, etc. I check under my hood at every fill up for a quick look. (What else to do while waiting for the pump?). Anyway, cleaning up your engine compartment before submitting it to your mechanic is not only respectful, but also advantageous for him/her to spot check components and seals while making repairs. Just a thought.

Hope this helps, offered as only suggestions.

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Tx
Yea that was why I asked these questions, I'm a believer of OEM parts also. I keep my engine compartments cleaner that any other part of the car always have, my engines are clean enough to eat off of. When I wash my cars my wife asked me once how about washing the outside of the car also. I have bought from Showcase Honda in Phoenix before & I'm only a few hundred miles away from Phoenix. But I'll check out this other dealership also. Thanks ED

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Ed has a good point. I would also use genuine Honda parts for timing belt maintenance. However, generic auto parts store brands should suffice.
My thought was to buy the belt, tensioner, OEM, let the shop buy the pump & gaskets. That way if there is a problem with the pump or any leaks it is on them not me. But failure of a new OEM belt & tensioner is very highly
unlikely.
Thanks.