Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission-gone..or is it??

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Default Transmission-gone..or is it??

Let me start off. I have a 2000 honda civic lx automatic transmission.93000 miles Nothing special haven't done anything to it, I just bought it a week ago for 1k$. (started off on body work because I was lazy and had materials at hand)

On the way home, CEL came on- whatever.

Took it code the code read one for the cat converter(whatever), other P0501---vehicle speed sensor??

Anyways drove it for a week, after work stopped at a light it was like I had put the car in neutral. Put in reverse- NADA put in drive- NADA RPMS go up like im in neutral and revving but my POS doesnt move.

Takes POS to local mechanic(whatever) he looks at it for like 10 minutes and says the transmission is bad and its going to cost me over 1k and is not worth it to fix- might as well junk my POS

WHATEVER

I am not one to just assume what people tell me is the truth, everybody is a liar.J,S

So My question is, would it be (in any way) possible that a bad VSS could be my issue, not that my "transmission pooped out on me"

My fluid looked fine before I took it in, wasnt low or anything, it was shifting normally before it shat on me at a light.
Just give me honest opinions- humor me because i am taking it to get a second opinion Monday, and I like to fix cars so Look forward to seeing myPOS a lot on this forum- because it isn't going anywhere..bad tranny or not.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the axles, you could have a broken CV joint or axle disengaged from the transmission. In that case the speedometer (if working before) will go up when you put in gear and try to move. Another test you can do is to jack up the car so one of the front wheels is off the ground. With the transmission in park and the engine off, you should not be able to turn the wheel by hand more than a few degrees back and forth. If it spins freely, the wheels aren't linked to the transmission.

I don't know much about the automatics but I think the 2001 is fully electronically controlled. This means that the computer actually puts the transmission into gear when you move the handle, so various electrical problems can prevent it from moving at all.

Last edited by mk378; 09-14-2014 at 08:11 AM.