Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

transmission noise increasing

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 10:11 AM
Default transmission noise increasing

OK, not being a true DIY'er with cars (only the very basics) I've always thought of the word "transmission" as only having to do with changing gears, but I suppose it's more about energy being transferred to the wheels from the engine. So, the drive train sounding angry could be related to low trans fluid. And maybe that's the problem - I shall try to find this out.

My 2001 5-speed (146K miles) has gotten increasingly loud over the last year or more, through a couple oil changes for sure. I assumed all fluids were up to level, but that could be dead wrong. The noise is a raspy/growly/diesely kinds of sound when the car is in gear and the throttle is pressed, or when down-shifting without the throttle applied. No growl with the clutch pressed or when out of gear. It often "kicks in" in first suddenly a second or two after applying gas...maybe it's once the clutch is fully released.

I feel dumb letting the noise increase this long. The car is driving beautifully, so I've been lazy about it. I've had it for four years (since 89K miles) and have not needed any transmission work yet. Anyway, I appreciate any comments. My plan is to get someone to check the fluid first. Oh - I did have a look at the clutch fluid level, for the heck of it, and that seems OK.

Last edited by spitball; 05-08-2018 at 10:17 AM. Reason: added some mileage info
Old 05-08-2018, 01:38 PM

A mechanic who test drove it says its a bad bearing in the transmission, which requires complete removal and reassembly...an expensive repair. i might have to bid this car farewell.