Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Trouble starting car a week after getting timing belt replaced at shop.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:18 AM
Default Trouble starting car a week after getting timing belt replaced at shop.

I took my 2002 Honda Civic to a shop to get some seals replaced because of an oil leak, I also got my timing belt replaced while it was there. The car seemed to be doing fine, the leak problem was solved, but I did notice that it seemed a little louder when shifting into higher RPMs, also maybe a little shakier in idle. Though the leak was a problem, I never had any problems starting the car. A week later after I got the car back, I began having problems starting the car. It would sometimes take me multiple times to start the car. Wasn't a battery issue, I checked the battery, everything seemed to be pointing to the starter. Now after having problems for a week, it just won't start at all. Could this have anything to with the timing belt replacement? I took it back to the same shop and I'm waiting to hear back from them. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Last edited by adayandforever; 09-29-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:05 PM
HCF Member

Have them check the crankshaft position sensor and its plug. They may have unplugged it when they did the timing belt or possibly "disturbed" it. This just happened to my 05 when they did the timing belt. It then shorted out the crank sensor and melted the plug. Dealer wanted over $500 for a new wiring harness. Just the plug is not available from the dealer, NAPA, Autozone, etc. I finally found just the new plug with pigtail on Ebay for $19.00. Seems to be somewhat of a common thing with the Civics. Good luck.
Duane