Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Water standing in rear passenger floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Post Water standing in rear passenger floorboard

My wife's 2001 Honda Civic EX was standing water in the rear passenger floorboard. The seat, raised carpet near the rear seat, carpet under the front seat or front passenger floorboard is not wet at all. The floorboard is only wet right aginst where the carpet raises up towards the seat in that low area.

It has been very cold and snowy here, in Virginia Beach that is VERY rare. I thought the sun roof drains may have frozen but when I poured water down each of the 4 drains, they drained out. I vacumed up the water and let it sit. Yesterday it rained again and today the floor is wet again.

Any suggestions on what to check and where to start? I'm lost.

Thanks.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:41 AM

Door seals are my first guess.

Open the back doors (I'm assuming it's a 4 door?) and visually inspect the door seals at the tops of the doors. The rubber might be worn out.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:08 AM
HCF Member

I'm having the exact same problem with my 2dr '95 DX. It just pool on the floor behind the drivers door (although the floor in the front sometimes seems wet). If I figure it out I'll let you know(been happening off and on since I got the car over a year ago).

Old 03-14-2010, 07:04 AM
Default Still looking

I ended up removing all the trim and the back seat to get the carpet up to look and find the water leak. The water lead from under the front seat. I took up the front carpet and it was SOAKED under there. The other day, I took all the seats out of the car and removed the carpet. I thought I had the leak traced to a windshield replacement I had last year so I called the glass company, they came out and looked but told me that Hondas are good at creating a leak in the corner where the front quarter panel and all the bod parts come together. This seam is sealed with a putty material that cracks, we saw cracks in mine. This seam is right under the corner of the hood when it is open all the way back from that area. We put some of the windshield glue on it. The next night it rained and there was water in the car again. So I gave up and took it to a place that finds water leaks, Walts Water Leaks in Chesapeake, VA. They are looking for the leak now. I even talked to the dealer and they said they were not as good as walts. On a whim, I called my insurance company and they said they will cover all the damage from the water leak and a rental car. They won't pay to fix it but they will pay for all damage caused by the water leaking.

I'll let you know what they find when I get the car back.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

damn, do you have full coverage? my insurance company would tell me to get it fixxed on my own but save enough money for their bill lol.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Default Fixed

Walts found the water leak and it was a body seam that had split. They had to fix the split, dry the carpet and fire wall blanket and shampoo the carpet. This also involved a rental car. It cost me $283. The insurance company, State Farm, is covering drying the fire wall pad, drying the carpet and shampooing the carpet and the rental car. When I get the car tomorrow, I will let you know where the split was so if any of you have the same problem, you can begin looking there.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:37 PM
HCF Member

Please do, thanks... looks like I'll be hunting for the same split :P