Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Wierd electrical grounding issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Default Wierd electrical grounding issue?

Car: 2001 Civic EX 4cyl (Auto) D17A2 - 240,000mi

Intro:
I have had this car for the past 7 years & 100,00mi. Just last summer ~2000 mi ago, I personally replaced battery, head gasket, sparkplugs, water pump, timing belt, timing belt tensor, cam and crank shaft position sensors, front control arms, brakes, and rotors and new tires. This work was done to hand over a safe and reliable first car to my daughter.
Except for a small event a couple of weeks ago where she rear ended a truck that bent her radiator (hit the tow hitch on the truck) everything has been as expected - reliable and uneventful until this past week when she had to leave the car at school because it would not start.

Initial Problem Description:
To make a long story short: the engine will "Turn Over" but would not run. I felt like there was a grounding issue, but the two grounding locations (Battery & Thermostat Housing) were secure.

Discoveries:
- When i went to check for ECU codes there were none.
- When the Bluetooth Code Reader is connected to the car it will crank and run fine.
- When I disconnect the Code Reader it will not crank.
- When the engine is running and I disconnect the Code reader the engine dies.

Issues that are occurring that I don't think are related, but could be:
- The temp gauge works intermittently - Has for the past couple of years.
- I had a couple of window motors go out in the past year (Front Passenger Side & Rear Driver Side)

Question(s):
- Still sounds like a grounding issue. So is there a grounding test guide located anywhere or does anyone know of where and how I should check for ground issues?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mack

Old 04-08-2014, 04:24 PM
HCF Member

could be the ECU ???