Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

will trade first born for help with no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: will trade first born for help with no start

Remove the main relay and turn the ignition key. If fuse 44 still blows, then you have a short in the WHT/BLK wire between fuse 44 and the main relay. If the fuse does not blow, then the short is downstream of the main relay in the circuit.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:45 PM

there is an aftermarket radio in it so i guess i'll go out and try to remove the radio. it was installed with the proper radio harness so can i just pull the radio fuse from under the dash?

Old 07-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: kanada

there is an aftermarket radio in it so i guess i'll go out and try to remove the radio. it was installed with the proper radio harness so can i just pull the radio fuse from under the dash?
Not likely related.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:01 PM

the fuse does not blow with the main relay removed.....whats downstream of this relay that could be causing it to blow the instant the ignition circuit gets power?

Old 07-27-2008, 07:06 PM

could it be the fuel pump shorting out? my gf says that in the couple of days before this issue that it would sputter for a split second...barely noticable....and only once or maybe twice in a whole day of driving. its basically down to fuel pump or fuel injectors isnt it?

Old 07-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Well, the final destination for the circuit after passing through the main relay is the ECU. Remove ECU connectors A and B and look for signs of short circuiting (burning) on both the connector and ECU sides.

Edit: The circuit also branches to the fuel injectors, so look there as well.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:22 PM

i have checked the ecu and the connectors and even replaced it with a spare i had kicking around and all seems to be fine there....according to the schematic i have from the haynes manual there is one terminal on that main power relay that goes direct to the fuel pump...its the yel/grn wire. i guess if i grabbed 7 fuses and isolated it one wire at a time i could pin it down to at least one wire coming out of the main power relay eh?

Old 07-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Wow, you have a lot of useful spare parts laying around!

No, the fuel pump is on a separate circuit. The problem circuit serves to activate the fuel pump circuit in the main relay but is not actually part of it. Keep in mind that you could have a shorted wire between the main relay and ECU or fuel injectors. This can be sorted out with continuity tests using a multimeter. One or more of the fuel injectors might also have a short circuit.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Assuming that you don't have a D16Y5 engine, here are relevant circuit diagrams from the manual:

Name:  picture_1244.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  79.2 KB

Name:  picture_1245.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  74.9 KB

Old 07-27-2008, 07:58 PM

the haynes manual has the 7 terminals on the main relay labelled as such:

one terminal blk wire goes to ground.
second terminal yel/grn wire goes to fuse 13 which doesnt blow so im assuming its not that wire
third terminal yel/blk wire splits into 3 wires and they go to #1: igp2 on pcm #2: igp1 on pcm #3: splits into 6 wires of which 4 go to the fuel injectors and the last 2 going to the idle air control valves (im assuming these are grounds as well since pcm has four wires which go to injectors (yel, blu, red, brn)
fourth terminal wht/blk wire goes to fuse 44 which doesnt blow with relay unplugged so that eliminates that wire
fifth terminal blu/wht wire goes to fuse 31 which doesnt blow so its not this wire
sixth terminal grn/yel wire goes to flr on the pcm and pcm appears fine but maybe its this wire?
seventh terminal which is also another yel/grn wire but not the same wire as the other one seems to go direct to the fuel pumps motor in my schematic

yel/grn -{m} blk to ground

Quick Reply: will trade first born for help with no start