Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

will trade first born for help with no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Default RE: will trade first born for help with no start

engine is a d6y8

Old 07-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

That fits well with the diagrams I posted above. Concentrate on the main relay YEL/BLK and GRN/YEL wires and their destination points. Look for continuity where it should not exist.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:14 PM

well that'll have to be tomorrow i guess. its getting dark here and my street isnt lit well enough to work outside. thanks for all your help so far!!! not a bad tutorial for how to step by step troubleshoot something by slowly eliminating things eh!? i'll let you know what i find with those wires tomorrow......nite.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:25 PM

oh yeah....and as for all the good spare parts....my friend got into a car accident where insurance didnt cover him and we stripped his car down and i kept all the goodies he didnt want...all he basically kept was engine and tranny.....i got the rest!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sweet deal for you. Good luck with tomorrow"s troubleshooting.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

As you continue troubleshooting, I recommend that you proceed methodically. For example, first disconnect only ECU connectors A and B and then turn the ignition key to ON to see whether fuse 44 blows. If so, then do the same by disconnecting only the fuel injectors or only the IACV, until you pinpoint a disconnected component in addition to the main relay that prevents fuse 44 from blowing.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Need to check all the wiring associated with that fuse. Now that it blows instantly it's going to be easier to find. Start unplugging stuff and turn the key on and see if the fuse holds. Could be a shorted fuel pump I think.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:56 PM

well this gets even better....ruled out shorted injectors and the air idle control valve. started checking wiring looms trying to trace the yellow black wires. found an orange connector with a yellow black thats just under relay box that holds fuel pump relay and disconnected it to check for resistance...to see if it was going to ground. tried to start car without that connected and she started. plugged it back in to confirm that was blowing fuse and she still started. *now* i have 2 new codes......a code 41 and a code 65. i also have abs code 37. no more eld code. the speedo is also moving on its own...kinda like a tach. nothing is disconnected or any different than when it was not starting....beggining to lose my mind here.....any help? any chance bad alternator....im getting erratic voltages.....gonna have to replace alternator either way i guess...

Old 07-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You've made some progress. Where does the YEL/BLK wire go after the orange connector? Does it go to the fuel injectors or IACV?

Before you replace the alternator, check again whether fuse 15 under the dash has blown.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:40 PM

fuse 15 is fine......as for where the wire goes, it disappears under a large aluminum block with many steel brake lines going to it....cant tell for sure where it goes and cant seems to find it in the schematic...

Quick Reply: will trade first born for help with no start