Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Won't turn/start

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:03 AM
HCF Member
Default Won't turn/start

So I recently installed an alarm with a starter kill on my 1990 civic hatch. It worked fine at first but now it won't start. It won't crank or turn. The battery has power. My fuel pump hums when the ignition is in ON. The only way I can start it is if I pop start it with the car in gear, my foot on the clutch and with the ignition switch on the ON position. Could it just be the alarm that isn't disarming the starter kill? Or what other things an I rule out. Ivesearched and searched but havent found any solitons illbe taking my car to the place I got my alarm installed to see if it's that. Thanks for the input guys!!

Old 01-10-2012, 06:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It seems most likely there's a problem with the alarm, but before you go back to the shop check for a couple of other common reasons.

The switch on the clutch pedal can go bad. Usually it is because the rubber pad that presses the button on the switch falls apart, and the switch doesn't get pressed when you press the clutch down, so the starter will not work. The switch is way up at the top of the clutch pedal arm under the dash and the rubber pad is pressed into a hole in the pedal arm. There is a similar pad on the brake pedal for the brake lights.

Test the starter itself by jumping it. To do that, set the brake and make sure the car is not in gear. Leave the key off. Go under the hood and unplug the small wire on the starter. Then touch a test wire from the terminal on the starter for the small wire to battery + terminal. The starter should engage and crank the engine. If it does, there's a problem with the wiring inside the car.

Last edited by mk378; 01-10-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:45 AM
HCF Member

Okay so I tested the starterthe way you told me and it turned on. So it's not the starter? Just need to find the clutch button to see if it's broken

Old 01-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes, that means the battery and starter are OK. Be sure to put the small wire back on securely.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:35 AM
HCF Member

So I checked the clutch pedal and it was broken :/ there's an arm that kinda holds the clutch so it stays straight and since that little piece was broken the pedal was crooked therefore wasn't hitting the button. So I think what I'm goingto do is tryto weld that part back on. Or would it be better to try to find another set of pedals?

Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 AM
HCF Member

pedal assembly's are not fun to replace in these cars, but are doable. the clutch pedal is known to be weak, it would be better to remove it and reinforce it with another metal plate and some welding. here's some people discussing this. Clutch pedal broke in my 91 Civic, attempting to fix it myself and need some help - Honda-Tech

Old 01-16-2012, 05:30 AM
HCF Member

So after a whole afternoon trying to figure out how to remove this pedal I was finally able to. I had to drop the steering colum remove the driver seat and all other sorts of crap, just to get to the stupid pedals. Hammered the suckerin place. Welded it, and waited till the next day to put it back on. It was no easy task and I needed a ton of patience. But after all that trouble I finally got my car running again. Thanks for the help!!!

Old 01-16-2012, 06:25 AM
HCF Member

Good to hear you got it working!