New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

HEY everyone! And a couple of questions right away

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Default HEY everyone! And a couple of questions right away

Hey guys,

My name is Danny. I bought a 1995 Honda civic in April this year, and I have done some work on it. (Just maintenance). I'm here for advice and tips.

So far, I replaced my alternator and front brake bads. Got a jack and 2 jack stands along with steel chocs, and have already saved at least $150 or $200 over the cost to get these done at the mechanic. Plus I got new tools to boot!

I had to get this neat tool called a nut splitter after I stripped the nut on the bottom bracket holding the alternator. I destroyed the nut and bolt, and after 2 days, finally hacked away with the nut splitter and a metal chisel and hammer. The nut splitter would have been all I needed, but the damned nut was flanged! I was a little nervous, but perseverance pays off!

Few questions:

Does anyone have any tips on how to tell if my alternator belt may be too tight?

And I think I may have noticed that my gas mileage is not as great as it was before the alternator swap... Could there be a connection?

When replacing my brake pads, I noticed on the front right axle, where it connects to the rotor, the rubber housing (accordian like thing) was torn, probably from age. Is this bad?

And in the brake caliper, the rubber around the piston was corroded on both sides... problem?

Thanks guys! Real excited to be a member now and help others, as this site and it's links have helped me tremendously in my work.

-Danny