New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Looking into buying a Civic soon (~6 months), but want some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Default Looking into buying a Civic soon (~6 months), but want some advice...

I've always liked the look of the Civic and liked how people have modified them around (I live in Los Angeles) and have wanted to do the same myself.

I am looking for a bit of advice, though.

What is a good price for one?
What about the price while taking into account mileage?
How far do these cars usually go for?

I've looked into buying user-modified ones and, well, a bit hard to get financing through a bank for me (I'm only 19) and individuals don't offer financing, of course, so I'd have to go through a dealership that sold a stock one and read up on modification, ask around, gather money for modifications, etc.

So, I'm wondering...

If a dealer sells, say, a 2000-2002 Civic (I'm looking for maybe 1995-2005) for like $6k-$7k with like 100k-120k miles on it, is that fair? Is that okay to buy or will I run into various problems that end up costing me thousands more right after buying it?

Additionally, where are some good sites to browse Civics? I've looked around on Google for several hours and most sites don't have too many listings and many either look terrible or are just as good as going to buy a new one off any old lot.

Any advice to this whole process would be nice, if anyone can provide such.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

EDIT: Oh, and this is in the New Member forum because I'm new! Ha.

Last edited by totalanonymity; 04-18-2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 04-19-2011, 07:05 AM
HCF Member

That is PLENTY of cash to buy a civic. However if you want to upgrade it don't go with anything 2001 or after. You'd pretty much have to do an engine swap. I have an 01 but i don't NEED any more power... just the amazing mpg I bought it with 130xxx miles on it for $3400. It was a salvage title-and if you see that and the price it is in fact too good to be true. It had a cracked exhaust manifold, the crappiest tires ever (gone after 20k! Car is aligned correctly too!), and bad rear struts. In addition-I'm pretty sure the guy I bought it from painted over rust... so I've been taking care of that whenever it sprouts up. Nevertheless, I love it and won't consider getting rid of it