New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Newbie needs help with Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Default Newbie needs help with Mods

Hey, I am new to the site and know nothing about civics. My wife will be going from a 2003 Grand Am to a 2002 Civic LX which is quite a drop in power and performance. I want to get her Intake, Exhaust & ECU reflash. I know I could probably get an intake from ebay or if someone wants to give me a brand that I could get an intake. I can also get custom exhaust done. My biggest concern or question is if there is even a reflash available for an LX. I know that EX & Si are better suited cars to mod but she probably will not be getting either. Please help me by giving me links or what not. Thanks

Old 07-11-2005, 04:51 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Newbie needs help with Mods

You might want to hold off on messing with the ECU.

AEM make the best Cold Air Intake, K&N has a great short ram (air charger), other brands include Injen and Weapon-R.

Old 07-11-2005, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the info. Is the ECU on the LX not very tuner friendly? Is there not a reflash out for it or is it just not a good platform to mod? If we could get an EX would that be a much better choice all around or no? We are currently looking for a used civic sedan automatic for $12k. I found a 2002 LX with 30k miles that was pretty nice.

Old 07-11-2005, 05:05 PM
HCF Member

I would personally recommend the Ex, as that's what I drive, but I guess it depends on what you want. If you are asking about mods then you probably want a little zip so I would go with the Ex, it has the V-Tec motor. Do you know about V-Tec yet?

I really have no experience with ECU chipping or modification, but from what I understand the point of it is more aggressive fuel maps and timing and this isn't really going to help you unless you have lots of mods already (at least thats what I keep hearing).

Lx- 93 Hp
Ex-127 Hp with around the same fuel efficiency.

Old 07-11-2005, 05:09 PM

Yah, i know about V-Tec becuase I was interested in getting an RSX-S before I decided on a Tiburon. ECU reflash is very beneficial because it can raise shift points, rev limiters, adjust timing & A/F as well as improve gas mileage. I just wasn't sure if there was one for the LX. I will have to look into an EX but they are more expensive.

LX are quoted at 117hp & EX at 127hp

Old 07-11-2005, 05:42 PM

I dont know of anyone flashing honda ecus. Most people go with a piggy back.

Old 07-12-2005, 12:26 AM
HCF Member

Jet does it. its not really a bad idea, but there should be more power in the ins and outs of the motor for less money. do an intake, header (not OBX) and a good cat-back exhaust. then maybe a high-flow cat.