Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

nitrous question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 12:39 AM
Default nitrous question

i used to get my bottle filled at a local performance shop and they always took an hour to fill my lil 10oz bottle because they said they had to freeze it, but this new place i go to ( its a desiel repair shop) just takes in the back and 5 min late voila finished whats the deal with freezing the bottle.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:09 AM
Default RE: nitrous question

nitrous bottles used to be frozen(some places still do) so the nitrous turns to a liquid, and fills the bottle completely, but now they use compressed air to pump the gas into the bottle i believe
they use something like that to refill now

Old 03-02-2007, 04:33 AM
June 2010 ROTM

I think you don't get as much nitrous doing the quicker method. I'm not talking extreme loss.It's probably not even noticeable.

Think of it scientifically: When molecules are colder, they move slower and take up less space. The opposite it true as well, when molecules are warmer, they move quicker and take up more space.

Here's an easy example: Fill a balloon with air. Now, put the inflated balloon in a freezer. Give it a little bit of time and then look at it. It will look semi deflated. That's because the molecules got colder and slowed down in the colder enviroment. Air was never lost, just chilled. Remove it from the freezer and you will see it inflate back to normal.

[Note: Water and a few other molecules don't obey this principle, but that's another can of worms.]

Now try this: (If you live in a cold place like Wisconsin or have a walk-in freezer, it's easier to do.)
Pump a balloon full of cold air (don't blow it up with your mouth) with a pump and do this in a cold environment. Once it's filled, bring the inflated balloon into a warmer place, preferably warmer than room temperature. Once the air inside the balloon heats up, the balloon will begin to expand. It may even pop due to the pressure. (This is also why aerosol cans have a maximum heat exposure warning)

So, when you freeze the nitrous bottle, it creates a colder environment, thus allowing more nitrous to fill the space.

I hope this helps!

p.s. I hope the place that does it quicker charges less. You get less and they work less.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:42 AM
June 2010 ROTM

Oh, I almost forgot. When they refill it, make sure they let the gauge measure the pressure for a bit. I once worked at a party supply store. I was in charge of refilling helium tanks. I learned that if you fill a tank until the gauge says it's full, then close everything off immediately, the tank won't be totally full. You have to wait 2-3 minutes for the gauge to acurately measure the psi. The guage reading settles much slower than a standard bathroom scale settles.

Then again, I used crappy analog gauges. We didn't have fancy digital gauges.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:47 AM

thanks for all your help. actualy the faster place changes more but i moved away from theother place so now its an hour away and i only get it filled therewhen ivisit my parents. butthis is only place that i know that can fillmy bottle they charged me$10($1 and oz)i dont think they have a set price because i didnt get a reciet or anything.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:38 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: danomatic93

Oh, I almost forgot. When they refill it, make sure they let the gauge measure the pressure for a bit. I once worked at a party supply store. I was in charge of refilling helium tanks. I learned that if you fill a tank until the gauge says it's full, then close everything off immediately, the tank won't be totally full. You have to wait 2-3 minutes for the gauge to acurately measure the psi. The guage reading settles much slower than a standard bathroom scale settles.

Then again, I used crappy analog gauges. We didn't have fancy digital gauges.
You measure how much nitrous that is in the bottle by how much it weighs not how much psi it is at. The psi is supost to be around 900 all the time until the bottle is about empty. You change the psi in the bottle by the temp. you keep it at, thats why they have bottle heaters.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:36 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Well, helium tanks don't have heater heads or whatever. Sounds cool, but gas weighs near to nothing. Whatever.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:52 PM
HCF Member

Well nitrous is a liquid at room temp I think so that might have something to do with it. lol