Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Tuned

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:08 AM
HCF Member

thanks for the advice, and btw my Phearable base map was horrible, i didn't think it was THAT bad, but my tuners looked at it and said he hoped i never hit boost on it lol

Old 03-26-2009, 10:38 AM
HCF Member

radiator fixed, whoop. Thermostat was all it was, going to do some more work on the oil leak situation, hairspray my charge pipes and try and find an IACV somewhere for less than $150 tomorrow.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Flip, I want to clarify my earlier comment about your idle problem. Take it or leave it as you see fit. The test that you mentioned to determine that you have a bad IACV was not definitive. The problem actually could be an intake air or vacuum leak or even a faulty coolant temperature sensor. Regarding the latter, have you bled the cooling system? To save yourself time and money, I would recommend that you do the test mentioned in my earlier post.

In addition, if the IACV were indeed the problem, why not try cleaning it first before purchasing a new one?

Last edited by RonJ; 03-26-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:01 PM
HCF Member

yea i bled the coolant system today. I will try and clean the IACV before replacing it

Old 03-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by FlipHKD720
I will try and clean the IACV before replacing it
Just curious, why are you confident that the IACV is the problem? Did you block the throttle body port with your finger? If you did and the idle speed did not change, then you have a vacuum leak or a faulty coolant sensor. (I am a big nag, right? Just ask my kids.)

Last edited by RonJ; 03-26-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:46 PM
HCF Member

Crome isn't as bad as some people think. You can do many things depending on the version you use and how talented the tuner is with it. My buddy's running crome in an ek pushing 200~220 whp on a z6 for about 45,000 miles so far, and it still runs like a champ.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:06 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Just curious, why are you confident that the IACV is the problem? Did you block the throttle body port with your finger? If you did and the idle speed did not change, then you have a vacuum leak or a faulty coolant sensor. (I am a big nag, right? Just ask my kids.)
the CEL i pulled is the IACV, and whenver the tuner disabled/enable the IACV when he was tuning the CEL came off and on respectively, and then when he pulled the CEL it just to check it was still the IACV. He also explained my erratic idle as being my ECU trying to compensate for hte extra air getting brought in by the IACV, so i kept going lean, rich, lean, rich, over and over again due to the IACV being stuck open. I guess in the end i know thats what it is becasue thats what the CEL code was.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by FlipHKD720
the CEL i pulled is the IACV, and whenver the tuner disabled/enable the IACV when he was tuning the CEL came off and on respectively, and then when he pulled the CEL it just to check it was still the IACV. He also explained my erratic idle as being my ECU trying to compensate for hte extra air getting brought in by the IACV, so i kept going lean, rich, lean, rich, over and over again due to the IACV being stuck open. I guess in the end i know thats what it is becasue thats what the CEL code was.
Be aware that not all "IACV CEL codes" are thrown by an IACV circuit malfunction. In this regard, what was the specific CEL code that you pulled? Did it happen to be P0505? You have a 6th generation Civic, right?

Old 03-27-2009, 01:07 PM
HCF Member

yeah its 6th gen, and i don't remember exactly, but i will at least clean it and re-install it before buying a new one

Old 03-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It's also pretty easy to cover the IACV throttle body hole with your finger.

Quick Reply: Tuned