Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

turbo the d16, and keep the ac...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:42 PM
HCF Member
Lightbulb turbo the d16, and keep the ac...

okay guys, ive been thinking about this alot lately, and ive decided that when i get the money im going to throw on a cheapo turbo-kit onto my d16y8 in my 97 coupe. Im okay with a cheap turbo kit because my motor has 207k on it and if it goes then it goes, i dont wanna dump 2k+ into just a kit that may only get used for afew weeks to a month. My next issue is that i dont want to remove my AC and would rather not remove the power steering, but will remove the PS if i have to.

the reason i want to keep the ac is i still want a daily driver and i live in Phoenix Arizona, wayyy too hot to not run AC. And what im looking to get outta my d16 is perhaps 200hp at the wheels, paying around 1k to get all the parts and get it put together and then tuned. Hoping to just boost around 5-9PSI or a small-ish turbo. Id rather not upgrade the injectors but i can source some DSM GSX stock ones and stock GSX turbocharger for free from my moms dead car.

i know there are afew people here running boosted d-series engines but dont know how many kept the AC.

also are any of you running the ebay turbo kits? if so what are the usual problems if any and what do you think of it?

secondly the aluminum radiators that come with some of them, are they crap? do they fit well and work fine?

thanks ALOT guys, i really appreciate it

Old 05-28-2009, 08:28 AM

A few members (including myself) are piecing together kits. That's what I would recommend. I do understand your thought process being that you motor has 207k. But, if the motor goes, wouldn't you want to get another d16 for cheap and swap the turbo over? I would at least suggest to look into a Greddy Turbo kit if you want very small boost. The greddy 15G kit made for the d16 is also A/c & P/s compatible.

Although I do not have a Greddy kit (anymore), I am still planning on keeping my A/c & P/s. Ebay kits are just okay. I think I saw a thread somewhere of a guy who used a eBay kit and what went wrong. Something about the oil lines being pure garbage. He also kept the thread going for a little while updating everyone if something broke etc etc. I'll see if I can find it. I have no clue about a radiator that comes with a turbo kit... are you sure your not mixing it up with the intercooler?

Oh and BTW, if boosting, you will definitely need bigger injectors. If a small amount of boost, maybe something DSM 450's (with a resistor box of course) would be fine for you. Regarding a tune, what do you think it'll cost? I mean like the total for a "tunable" ECU (crome, ectune, hondata) and a street & dyno tune? Unless you are going the "piggy-back" route, which I would highly recommend staying away from IMO.

Check out the stickies... these were ALOT of help to me.
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...t=42034#400322
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=68360

Old 05-28-2009, 12:15 PM
HCF Member

thanks man, alot of sweet info in those threads, ive already read the first one twice, three times now, but its good to keep that info fresh in the mind when searching and sourcing parts. I think im gonna try to "borrow" the turbo and injectors from my moms "dead" gsx. That would put me at needing downpipe, charging pipe, intercooler, oil lines, mani, and other various items.

and as for tune i was speaking of chipping my ECU, hondata or something along those lines, just an econo sort of tuning basicly lol. And if the engine goes ill probably save up and swap in a b18 or b16 DOHC SI or ITR motor and then get a different mani and tuning software for the b series ecu.

and i wasnt mixing up the intercooler with a radiator lol, my posts may be low but ive been around for awhile, no offence intended. Some of the under 1k ebay kits actually come with an aluminum radiator now, just search d16 turbo kit on ebay motors and some of the kits actually come with an aluminum radiator, some even come with that and a oil cooler and a slim-line fan. Hell a 1k one last night had 4 precision 440cc injectors and walboro 255lph fuel pump with install kit, and of course downpipe, turbo, mani, charging pipe, intercooler, etc etc.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:27 PM
HCF Member

The ebay intercoolers and piping are fine, also the radiators are good too. The ebay kits are a hit or miss.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:43 PM

I'm just glad to see that the stickies were found useful. Keep us updated on what you decide to do!

Old 05-28-2009, 12:48 PM
HCF Member

i wish my mom had a broken gsx

Old 05-28-2009, 02:09 PM
HCF Member

I move to phoenix in 3 months and I'm driving my flat black no ac/heat 90 civic YAY.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:25 PM
HCF Member

that sucks JP, my last civic had no-ac also, but its not worth it here in Phoenix, heat strokes suck, big time.

thanks for the info on the ebay stuff croninc.

and kylea, i kinda wish my mom didnt have a broke GSX, cuz im the one that broke it, all stock, 90k miles and still had the original timing belt, but sadly that didnt last it snapped when we were cruising down a backroad at 50 (speed limit 45) and the car just powered down and a week later we took the head off, all the valves bent, cams toast, head toast, pistons toast, con-rods probably bent.

that was a bad night.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:59 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by McLovin
that sucks JP, my last civic had no-ac also, but its not worth it here in Phoenix, heat strokes suck, big time.

thanks for the info on the ebay stuff croninc.

and kylea, i kinda wish my mom didnt have a broke GSX, cuz im the one that broke it, all stock, 90k miles and still had the original timing belt, but sadly that didnt last it snapped when we were cruising down a backroad at 50 (speed limit 45) and the car just powered down and a week later we took the head off, all the valves bent, cams toast, head toast, pistons toast, con-rods probably bent.

that was a bad night.
OUCH! sorry to hear about the gsx. at least you can steal some goodies

Old 05-28-2009, 08:24 PM
HCF Member

well she treats it like it still runs, so i probably wont be able to get parts from her, i just hope i can. I just checked the tags on it the other day too, its been sitting since 2006. JEEZ!

Quick Reply: turbo the d16, and keep the ac...