Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Turbo help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Default Turbo help.

Hey guys im pretty new here and didnt know exactly where to post this. Basically i have a 95 civic ex. D16z6 Vtec SOHC. I wanna stay with this motor but it has 173k miles on it. it is a daily driver and i want to turbo it, to get around 200hp so im not so bogged down with more people in the car, and for a little extra pull. Anyways i know ill probably need the motor rebuilt, but should i just get a standard rebuild or will a shop rebuild if i wanted specific pistons and rods? If so what pistons and rods are a decent price to run 15-20psi and be safe to run say 12psi? How much does a turbo normally cost to get put in? Do i need new injectors right away? What size do the injectors have to be for 12psi? do i need a tune or ECU for this to happen as well? Thanks in advance, sorry for all the question. Keep in mind im 18 and full time landscaping. (not much money) I want a good deal for 200-250 hp.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:45 AM

I'll try to answer everything you have posted.

PSI means nothing. 12psi through a straw is a different amount of air than 12 psi through a 2" (diameter) tube. Keep your eyes on the 200 whp goal and build with that in mind.

You do not need much more than a basic turbo kit and tuning for 200whp. Maybe looking at about $2k after all said and done (that's on the cheap side, too) if you motor is healthy. Do a compression test to see how everything is holding up.

A shop can do the work for you, of course, the price will start increasing VERY quickly.

No idea on install prices. You can do it yourself if you take your time and research everything.

Yes, new injectors are recommended along with tuning.

For 200whp (not 12psi or whatever), I would look at 550cc injectors, upgrade your fuel pump, too. Get a Walbro 255lph pump. You can only have bigger injectors tuned down.

Yes, you need a tune.

You need to put together a checklist of parts. Research and come back with any specific questions you may have. The information is most definitely out there as this question is asked on a weekly basis.