Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Turbocharging a D14A4 UK spec engine...

Old 06-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Default Turbocharging a D14A4 UK spec engine...

Hey guys,

I have had my 1998 3dr EK Civic D14A4 for about 6 months now, and the power is starting to seem a little dosile. I've looked over the TurboD16.com website but there seems to be so much stuff on the market in terms of turbocharging, albeit for the D16 motor. What I want to know, is can I use a Turbo kit designed for the D16 to suit my car? Will it put too much strain on my internals? I use the car daily, so I don't wanna risk snapping a rod. How reliable would a D14A8 Turbo be when running about 8psi boost? Can I use a T03 Turbo or will this be overkill?

Also, I presume bigger injectors would be a must, but what should I go for? Can I get a Skunk2 (or any performance) high lift cam for my car? Also I have seen Turbo D14s on the internet, but what do they do about fueling?

My apologies as I'm new to all this, but it is something I'd really like to have a shot at. The D14 motor is a gem in my opinion, and will rev as high as you like all day long. Just needs that little bit more oomph and I think the internals should withstand the extra power. Just need t know what I need to start to get a bolt-on kit together.

cheers guys,

=chris=

Old 06-08-2006, 02:24 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Turbocharging a D14A4 UK spec engine...

You wont want to hear this mate but swap the engine, if you want to turbo on the cheap your better off doing it from a d16, you will gain a lot more power than strapping a turbo to a d14.
also I have never heard of any aftermarket surport for that engine so there goes your cam and stuff like that. you can pick a d16 and all the bits for peanuts so there is no excuse.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member

never seen a d14 before. got any pics mate

Old 06-09-2006, 05:00 AM

Well I have been told to go D16 in the past, but then I have seen a couple of Turboed D14s on the net before, both running borderline on the 200bhp mark. Quite respectable from a stock 1400cc motor. I can't really see me doing a swap just yet, my engine has under 70k on it and runs sweet as a nut. Seems like a hell of a lot of hassle to start thinking about an engine swap. Then what do you do when you come to sell? The engine no's/chassis no's will be different. Can you just inform the DVLA and they will change the log book?

I havent got any pics just yet, but I'll give the car a clean once I get home and hopefully get a few shots when shes nice and clean. I've been playing around with a few intake setups with the alloy tubing that came with the kit. Finally got a good compromise between good top-end and throttle response, although it does look slightly odd! Decided the CAI wasn't giving me much low-end and the car suffered from bogging down at low revs.

Riceburner - Basically the D14 is simply a sleeved down D16 I believe, as everything seems the same as the 1.6ltr in terms of dimensions. Will take few piccies to show how similar they are.

=chris=