Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

wastegates?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 04:59 PM
Default wastegates?

is a wastegate reliable enough to keep the boost consistantly at 6 pounds by itself or should i get a boost controller?im kinda runnning low on funds

Old 06-23-2004, 08:51 AM
Default RE: wastegates?

ORIGINAL: Lab Rat 21

is a wastegate reliable enough to keep the boost consistantly at 6 pounds by itself or should i get a boost controller?im kinda runnning low on funds
The wastegate on a turbo will prevent it from going over 6 pounds. The boost controller will allow you to increase the boost to a higher number. If you do plan on increasing your boost above the 6 pounds set up by the manufacture, you will want to invest into boost guage and a blow off valve. The BOV will allow the pressure to escape and help save the wastegate/turbo.

The word "consistantly" does not really fit here. The turbo will be a the 6 pounds only when the gas pedal is floored and the RPM's are up and ... However it will not go over the 6 pounds unless the wastegate were to malfuntion. The BOV is more needed at higher boost however it is nice to have - just in case the wastegate were to malfuntion.
The boost controller goes in the vacuum line on the wastegate. limiting the amount of vacuum that goes to the wastegate. By doing this it allows you to build more boost before the wastegate will open. The WG still opens at the 6 pounds, just that the BC is preventing is from getting the 6 lbs. Kind of like pinching off a hose will still allow flow but at a lesser volume.

Man I think I getting confussed by reading what I wrote!

Old 06-23-2004, 04:00 PM

even though i'm only running 6 lbs, i bought a bov and boost gauge. just wanted to make sure that wastegates were reliable enough to keep the boost at 6. dont want to blow my engine

Old 06-23-2004, 04:04 PM

i thought that bov's release all of the boost when you let off the gas to protect the throttle body, since it closes. i didnt think it had anything to do with controlling pounds of boost

Old 06-24-2004, 04:27 AM
HCF Member

The wastegate lets the turbo reduce lag while preventing it from spinning too quickly at high RPM's. The wastegate is a valve that allows the exhaust to bypass the turbine blades. The wastegate senses the boost pressure... If the pressure gets too high then teh wastegate bypasses some of the exhaust around the turbine blades, allowing the blades to slow down.

The BOV is exactly how 99civic_boosted explained it... it allows excess pressure to escape saving your wastegate/turbo, its really only a problem with small turbos. it's pretty much for looks and sound on a large turbo.

IMO all turbos should have a BOV... they sound so sweet.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:00 AM

hey lab rat, check out my post, i'm thinking about doing a turbo conversion on my cig. can you hook me up with some info?

Old 06-28-2004, 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: polo708

The wastegate lets the turbo reduce lag while preventing it from spinning too quickly at high RPM's. The wastegate is a valve that allows the exhaust to bypass the turbine blades. The wastegate senses the boost pressure... If the pressure gets too high then teh wastegate bypasses some of the exhaust around the turbine blades, allowing the blades to slow down.

The BOV is exactly how 99civic_boosted explained it... it allows excess pressure to escape saving your wastegate/turbo, its really only a problem with small turbos. it's pretty much for looks and sound on a large turbo.

IMO all turbos should have a BOV... they sound so sweet.
errrrrr [:'(] the wastegate opens up at a preset boost pressure, by doing this it doesnt allow the turbine to spin any faster therefore not creating any more boost than what the wastegate is set for. BOV basically saves the turbo in the long run, but also it decreases turbo backspin(slows the turbine down) which will cause a slight lagg condition between shifts.