Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

[TUTORIAL] Broken Lower Control Arm Bolt? ~ How to Get it Out! ~ [TUTORIAL]

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Default [TUTORIAL] Broken Lower Control Arm Bolt? ~ How to Get it Out! ~ [TUTORIAL]

Introduction
So we all know about those pesky lower control arm bolts, the ones that snap when you give them too much pressure. Getting a new bolt in is no problem, but getting the old rusty one out is the hard part. I have the solution to this.

Item List
New Honda Genuine Lower Control Arm Bolt (90173-SR3-003)
- I can easily vouch for Honda Parts Direct - Genuine Honda Parts - Discount Prices

Any nut bigger than the threaded end of the bolt (I used a 3/4)

Welding Kit

Ability to do a small weld

Instructions
1. Attempt to pull out the head of the bolt with some vise grips and a large flat head screw driver. (If this does not work, revert to step 1a)
1a. There should be a small gap between the frame and the lower control arm bushing, grab a sawzall and cut through the bolt.
1b. You should now be able to pull the head of the bolt right out.

2. Now clean up the threaded side of the bolt with some WD40 and some liquid wrench, allow it to dry, or just wipe it off with a towel. If the bolt is too rusted, grab some sandpaper and clean the rust off the bolt.

3. Now, grab a nut, slightly larger than the bolt itself. Weld it to the end of the bolt by tacking it first, followed by wrapping it in a good bit of weld. (See the figure below)

4. If you wanna go the safe way of doing things (not breaking the weld), grab a cup of water or a hose and just dump some water over the nut to cool it down.

5. Finally, grab a ratchet and socket similar or exactly the same size as the nut on the end of the bolt and just loosen the bolt right out.

YOU'RE DONE!

If you have any questions just post on here.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:39 PM
HCF Member

Nice writeup. I will add I'm surprised this worked for you because that bolt head usually breaks because the bolt shaft is corroded to the inside of the LCA bushing. Therefore I've had to sawsall the bolt on both sides of the LCA, which doesn't give much room to weld anything to. (sawsalling a hardened bolt sucks btw!!) I've had the lca out of the car lying on the ground and that dang bolt would not come out of the bushing.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:18 PM

That sucks! Haha, yeah I guess I got lucky that my bolt broke right at the threads, once i got the threaded part out I just tapped the head out. I actually used a blow torch to heat it then I loosened it out.