Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

about to drop! teg shocks question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:12 PM
HCF Member

I mean, do i adjust down two inches from the top of the sleeve, or the middle of the sleeve? Mine done look like this, they have numbers starting with 5 ending with 55, but that just makes me more confused.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:25 AM
Chubby Chaser

the more the sleeve goes into the spring the lower it gets, best thing to do to make it where you want is to put all them at half way, then install them and lower car down, then you can look where the car sits and decide if you want lower or higher. and just simply jack each side up and set it where you want it, now remember that the car will lower slighty more after driving it, the springs have to settle.

Last edited by 94civichatchback; 07-15-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:37 AM
HCF Member

oooo, ok ill try that. going to the dealer today for LCA bolts, nowhere in town had 84x10mm : ( then I need to search around for some O-rings. prolly day after tomorrow it will be dropped.

Is there anyway to adjust the settings on adjustable shocks once the little plastic thing on top is broken off? it is snapped off on all 4, and I dont know what it was set at or if they are even all the same setting.

Just trying to be thorough so i dont happen upon any unforeseen problems once i start this project.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:31 AM

For adjusting the height, 2" down from the top of the coilover sleeve does not equal 2" of drop from stock height. Most coilovers, even at their highest setting, already drop the car about a 1/4" or more from what I've seen. The only way to set the height to where you want it is set the coilovers say in the middle of the sleeve before installing. Once installation is done, drop the car and adjust the height to where you want it. It takes some time. Jacking the car up, adjusting up/down on the sleeve, then drop the car and measure again, repeat until you have the height where you want it.

As for the shocks, if the tips broke off clean, you're SOL. Happened to my buddy on his old MR2 on a couple of his shocks. He hated it because he wanted to adjust them for AutoX but never could.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:14 AM
HCF Member

should I wait and get isolator pads? will they really make that much noise without them?

Old 07-16-2010, 06:39 AM

I would highly suggest using them on all 4 corners. You probably won't get much noise without using them but they do help keep the springs in place and also prevent wear and tear on the spring itself and also the top hat. Might as well wait until you get them and install everything at once. If you put them on later, it'll raise your car a little bit and you'll have to spend time adjusting the height again.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:33 AM
HCF Member

GAHH! broke the LCA bolt, tried with a hack saw for an hour, then rented a sawzall and cut both ends of it off. After that I managed to get the other two LCA bolts off and take out the arm.

When i tried to pound out the bolt and bushing, it wouldnt go anywhere. now I need to order new control arms and have no car till they get here. If I order Blox arms on ebay, will they come with new bushings, and if not what would be the cheapest place to order them?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Chubby Chaser

oh forgot to mention that lca bolt is sometimes a pita, i snapped mine on my sedan when i went to lower it. i believe they do come with bushings

Old 07-17-2010, 01:33 PM
HCF Member

yeah, ordered some used ones off an Si on ebay, 50 shipped for both rear. whats the likelyhood of snapping the front bolts, i havnt read about anyone complaining about that yet?

I sure hope after all this, these shocks actually work. the kid seemed pretty honest to me, but they are a bit homely looking.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Chubby Chaser

fronts are asy havent snapped a bolt on fronts

Quick Reply: about to drop! teg shocks question