Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

about to drop! teg shocks question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 01:58 PM
HCF Member

Year, I was gonna order new control arms same time as coils.... too many people snap em lol, I don't feel like getting stuck like you did.

Speaking of which, haha when I was removing ebay coils to ship to scrubb boy Mitch, I went to remove bolts with an impact.... HELL NO, just spun and melted the bushing lie crazy, had to cut it all off, dam you Mitch.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Chubby Chaser

yea yea you love me nike,

Old 07-17-2010, 02:59 PM
HCF Member

That is very true good sir, what was with the pic you texted me today? lol did you mean to send that to nosafebet? :P

Old 07-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Chubby Chaser

lol, i was gangsta, she got it to. i was bored at walmart, tried to look like a chino lmao

Old 07-20-2010, 07:30 AM
HCF Member

I cant believe how difficult this is becoming. Im trying to put the stock tophat on my new shocks while i wait for the lca's to ship. The stock shots are impossible to take apart. Ive used a buttload of pb blaster, and i still wrapped my allen wrench in knots with no luck.

I dont wanna sawzall it, cause that would ruin the stock shock.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Chubby Chaser

i just lay the shock on the ground, and stand on it, put the wrench on the nut and then put the allen wrench in it and let the allen get held by the ground, and turn the wrench, to loosen the nut
you can also use vice grips and lock onto the shock rod towards the top

Last edited by 94civichatchback; 07-20-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:33 PM
HCF Member

Impact. I took my shocks apart using an impact, throw it on the nut and it'll take it right off. You'll need a spring compressor though, since once it releases your hands are right there. Cant do the last few threads by kicking the wrench and letting the spring launch itself. I paid like $10 at Harbor Freight for a spring compressor.

And I bought my Blox lca's in prep for doing my suspension just in case. On my car lots of little stuff is rusty, the body and stuff is good, but I have a lot of rusty bolts that broke on me. And when I did my suspension I was expecting every rear bolt to snap, not a single one did lol. And I ordered new bolts for the rears off a hardware store online, only like $1.50 per bolt for I think 10.9 grade. And front suspension should be fine, mine came out flawlessly.

Last edited by Scott53092; 07-20-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:18 PM

The easiest way to get the nut off is to leave the shocks on the car completely, then (assuming your car is on jack stands... since you should be doing that) take your jack and jack up the lower control arm so that the shock/spring compress. Then take an impact gun and spin off the nut from the shock piston. Let your jack down and disassemble the shock and top hat from the rest of the suspension.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:16 PM
HCF Member

Got the rear done, but i broke the head off the bolt that holds the front shock to the fork. Gonna try and drill it out tomorrow rather than order new forks and wait another week with no car.

I found out that the two rear shocks are set at different levels, so i certainly hope i can adjust them with needle nose pliers. Can they be replaced if i buy new dials from tokico, or are they not a part that is removable/replaceable?

Old 07-27-2010, 03:46 PM
HCF Member

was wondering if this is normal, looks weird to me. from the bottom of the bump stop(which i cut to about 1.5'') to the top of the shock, there is only about an inch of the rod showing when the car is not lifted. There is a little less than a 2 finger wheel gap as they sit now.

Also, the springs are SUPER stiff, i havnt been able to judge the ride quality yet, but would springs that are too stiff run a higher risk of blowing the shocks?

Quick Reply: about to drop! teg shocks question