Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Brake Rotors/Pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 12:51 AM
HCF Member
Default Brake Rotors/Pads

It is finally time for me to replace my brake rotors (they are warped so instead of paying to get them un-warped I'm just buying new ones), plus my pads are shot so I'm just going to replace both at once. My question now lies in which rotors and pads to get. For rotors I have been looking at Powerslot, Power Stop, and Brembo. Pads I'm thinking along the lines of either EBC Greenstuf, Hawk, or maybe AEM. I guess my question is which pads work best overall for street use, and is it really worth it to get brembo rotors instead of powerslot? I can get powerslot ones for much cheaper, but there seems to be a bias towards brembo.

Any advice here would be great, considering this is one place I don't have too much expertise.

Thanks, Evan

Old 07-10-2006, 01:34 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Brake Rotors/Pads

Brembo is a pretty big name in brakes, perhaps the biggest. They provide the brakes for many of the best cars in the world. Something i noticed at the Chicago Auto Show is that most of the concepts were sporting Brembo calipers. As far as pad material goes, you can get ceramic, metallic, semimetallic, or organic. Organic pads are very quite, create a lot of brake dust, and do not stop as well as other pads. Metallic pads are loud, and will eat through rotors but stop very well. Semi-metallic is similar to metallic. Ceramic pads stop well, fairly quite, and has low brake dust. My car currently has Hawk performace pads.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:32 AM
HCF Member

my 2 cents....ceramic is the way to go with performance brakes.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:50 AM

i used ebc greenstuff pads and rotors. the pads work great, they are quite and stop better than the generic autozone crap, but the ebc rotors are real expensive and i warped them a bit. i know that the rotors won't make a big difference in braking performance, becasue the pads do most the works, so i would say get the powerslots with your pad of choice.