Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Brakes Locking Up While Driving..

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 12:15 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Brakes Locking Up While Driving..

If brake booster was a problem ALL wheels would be hot more or less. You said your rear ones were cold.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:58 PM
HCF Member

well......drove the car today cause it is my only means of transportation.....brakes locked up on the way home....my father suggested to let pressure off the lines so I released the bleed valve and the brakes unlocked....After reading a bunch of other forums i really think its the brake booster because the pedal locks up and it gets so firm you cant move it when it should move...We also did notice some leakage from the old master cylinder onto the booster which seemed to take the paint away but other forums say that if the diaphram of the booster gets brake fluid on it it doesn't mix..

The temperature I think is just because the disk brakes do more work, they are the main stopping system for the car and its front wheel drive so i don't see the bake brakes being too much of a problem. they lock up as well when the car locks up.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:03 AM
HCF Member

Which exactly bleed valve did you release?

Old 11-14-2006, 12:04 AM
HCF Member

Driver side front.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:40 AM
HCF Member

Next time try a different one, if you can. No, forget, it’s not going to answer anything.[:@]

I was asking you about temps because the brake set which locks will be hotter, just because it makes some hard braking while locking. I could buy your booster version if all of your brakes were more or less hot, because in such a case all of them were braking hard.

More precise test would be to actually try which wheel(s) are locked. If you have a jack, it’s just a question of lifting and turning corner by corner. It’s kinda physically hard, but will give you a definite answer. If this is only one wheel, forget about booster and look into this wheel, if all of them – this should be something central, may be booster, but proportioning valve looks like more probable cause.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:01 AM
HCF Member

sorry for not keeping up....we ended up replacing the Powerbooster and the brake pads...problem solved. The brake booster had damage on it from a leaky master cylinder and thats a sing that brake fluid got in the booster which is not good. it turned out to be a 100 dollar fix...not to bad.