Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Caliper pin frozen??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Default Caliper pin frozen??

I was having a strange issue with the rt front and left rear brakes not applying. After thinking it was a failed M/C and bleeding the brakes I noticed the inner pad on the rt side caliper was not toucking the rotor and could see it move to engage the rotor then pull back. This explains the horrible pedal and lack of pedal. I removed the lower bolt and was able to rotate the caliper up with little resistance. I pulle the LT side and was able to rotate it up as well with no resistance but it does not slide back and forth on the pin on either side. I would think if the pins were seized I would not be able to rotate the caliper up when the lower bolt is removed. Am I missing something? This is a 97 civic.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:20 PM
HCF Member

When you rotate, you are allowing the pin to contact just a small surface area, whereas sliding the calipers on pins involves a much larger area. Sticking slides is very common if the pads aren't replaced for many years due to lack of use. Grease up the pins/replace the pads and you should be okay.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:10 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by conceptualpolymer
When you rotate, you are allowing the pin to contact just a small surface area, whereas sliding the calipers on pins involves a much larger area. Sticking slides is very common if the pads aren't replaced for many years due to lack of use. Grease up the pins/replace the pads and you should be okay.
If need be, Get some very fine sand paper when you remove the pins and dress the sliders if they have pitting or corrosion. Also when you Grease them use Silicone Grease.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:34 PM

Problem is they are still frozen on the pins and I can't get the calipers off the pins. Used a BFH and penetrating oil with no success so far. I am hoping I don't need to get new calipers and brackets. The heat wrench may be making an appearance next as a last ditch effort.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:13 PM
HCF Member

Wow, they must be on good holy crap, Try heat if not.. Heat and smack-em with a hammer a little, just dont get to happy with the hammer XD the heat should do it too.. but dont get to happy with that either, remember theres a few components inside the caliper that can melt.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:50 AM

I soaked em with wd40 for about an hour and then got very liberal with the BFH and they finally came off. I figured either they would come loose or I would have to replace them anyway. Thanks for the input!!