Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

The Civic Effect?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 07:13 AM
HCF Member
Default The Civic Effect?

I drive a '98 Civic DX Sedan that has a stock suspension. Whenever I am forced to drive over a "bad spot" on the road (uneven railroad tracks, uneven part of the road, a hole but not a pothole, etc.) it feels and sounds very rough.
I know the stock suspension is very tight, which I like, but because its tight and stiff, is the car more prone to getting damage from driving over rough roads?
I have driven over these very same spots in a couple of other vehicles, and I barely notice that I drove over a "bad spot." Does it just seem as though damage is being done or are bad things really happening?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 AM

I would have never considered the OEM suspension on a 92-00 Civic (not much experience with others) to be tight and stiff.

The only damage which could be done I can think of is damage to your struts (shocks), overtime they will become more bouncy if they are starting to fail.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:56 PM
HCF Member

I have that problem too..It feels like my civic can feel everything on the road. But if I drive my Town & Country(van) I barely even notice anything.
I'm trying to change out all my bushings & with this set right here:

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspens...=35TY0N2SPF8BL

I'm not bouncing all over the place but with every small hole or bump it sounds/feels like someone kicking my car.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:31 PM
HCF Member

I guess I call it stiff and tight because it is compared to the other vehicles that I've driven (2004 Saturn Vue and 2004 GMC Sierra). I feel like when I drive those two vehicles, they're a little more forgiving when I hit a bad spot and when I hit a bump, there is some bounce to it. When I drive my Civic, every little bump/hole/imperfection/etc in the road is felt.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:24 AM

Yeah you're kinda comparing apples and oranges in a way. It's an older "sporty" car, they were known for their handling for a reason. Majority of these new cars are very softly sprung because the typical driver doesn't want to feel anything when they're driving.. Sounds like you have a well working suspension if you ask me. If you want to know what rough feels like, ride in my autox car lol. It'll change your perspective fast..

Old 03-04-2011, 10:24 AM
HCF Member

I'm not saying that I think there is something wrong with my suspension. I was just wondering if because it sounds/feels really rough when driving, if its more susceptible to wearing down.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:34 PM
HCF Member

How many miles are on your shocks? Old shocks can make the ride feel harsh. A set of Bisteins or KYBs will almost definitely improve your ride.
By the way, try to traverse railroad tracks and speed bumps diagonally. It is much easier on your suspension.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:55 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by conceptualpolymer
How many miles are on your shocks? Old shocks can make the ride feel harsh. A set of Bisteins or KYBs will almost definitely improve your ride.
By the way, try to traverse railroad tracks and speed bumps diagonally. It is much easier on your suspension.
I honestly have no clue. I bought the car about three years ago and it had around 152,000 on it and now it has about 175,600 on it. I've had the car looked at several times by a couple of different places and they've all said that it looks to be in good shape.

I've tried everything except going over bumps/railroad tracks diagonally so I'll have to give it a try.