Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Coilovers or Lowering Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Default Coilovers or Lowering Springs?

I know this question has been asked before, and I did do the search but I didn't find the answer I was looking for, so here goes....

I recently replaced all the worn out bushings and tire rod ends on my 95 Civic Hatch, and now I'm looking into Struts/Shocks replacement.
An O.E.M. style from the local auto supplier is like $40-$50 per unit.
I found a deal on eBay on a set of Dropzone Strut/Shock combo with EITHER Lowering Springs or Adjustable Coilovers, which in the long run would be equal if not cheaper than the O.E.M. set-up.

My search did tell me that Dropzone was good for the money spent, so that, and the price, is why I chose them, but my question about the springs is as follows.

The Lowering Springs provide 2.5 inch drop front/back

The Adjustable Coilovers are 0-4 in drop.

What are the pro's and con's to Lowering Springs vs. Adj. Coilovers? It is a daily driver if thats important.

One concern I have.....on the Coilovers, any one ever have the adjusting nuts seize up on them? Or can this be prevented with some Marine Grade Never-Sieze?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:05 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Coilovers or Lowering Springs?

I dont know how true this is or not, but I heard coilovers make your car bounce more than normal. I have lowering springs on my civic. For a daily driver, they are great.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:11 PM
formerly aryiman98civic

stay away from dropzone. i have had them on my car and it was the worst ride i have ever had. i had coils on there and i hate them, so that is why i am going to go with some h & r sport lowering springs. every time you adjust the coils you should get an alignment, just to make sure your car has good toe. i would recommend the lowering springs because they are a set height.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:05 PM
HCF Member

if you want a set hight, go with springs, if you want to adjust it, go with coilovers....springs and shocks may be a better ride, coilovers may be a little harder depending what you get, but have the adjustable hight, but do you really need it?.. For this type if thing, it really is "you get what you pay for"