Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Skunk2: coilovers or lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 01:12 PM
HCF Member
Default Skunk2: coilovers or lowering springs?

on ebay i can get a set of adjustable skunk2 coilovers for around 260 (free shipping) and the lowering springs for around 150 (free shipping). which should i go for, just looking for a nice clean drop not too much though. opinions would be great guys!

Old 10-23-2007, 01:41 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Skunk2: coilovers or lowering springs?

i would do the adjustable coilovers. Is that the only suspension kit you found?

Old 10-23-2007, 01:50 PM
HCF Member

its the best suspension kit ive found for that price, and skunk2 is a good brand so yeah. also, with either of these products, will i need front/rear camber kits to avoid abnormal tire wear?

Old 10-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I'd say go for the coilovers. That way, you can play with the ride height to get it exactly how low you want it. And you don't necessarily need a camber kit, but it wouldn't be a bad idea. Camber doesn't wear out tires nearly as fast as toe does. Also, if you're tucking tires (like me), you probably need negative camber to keep from rubbing. Just make sure you have the alignment checked (and fixed) after you put the new springs on. Also, I'm pretty sure you need an alignment every time you change the ride height. I'd assume that's regarding drastic ride height changes, though (like if I were to raise my car back up to near-stock height).

Old 10-23-2007, 03:39 PM
HCF Member

well it wont be a drastic drop just probly like 1.5-2" drop. would i need an camber kit/alignment for that?

Old 10-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya youll need a alignement for any changes! 1 degree can wear the crap outta your tires! like said camber isnt to big of a issue but does look beter thats why i rolled my fender lips on my 99 so my camber can be proper in the rear. i just used some washers on that rear upper arm to hold it out just a bit more which is realy all ya need for something like that... BUT some bolts that are slightly longer WOULD be a good idea if around 2inch drop!!!!

but for springs or adjustable its up to you... i went with springs on my 99 but my 94 im gonna get some GC adjustables..... i would sugest some adjustables if you want your car to be PERFECTLY EVEN..... cause i know with my springs the car just DOESNT SIT perfect on both sides..... thiers just no way to adjust the springs. but if ya get some adjustables you can fine tweek the setup. which i REALY like the idea of for my 94 cause it will be my winter beater so ill be adjusting my suspension twice a year...

heres a picture of my alignment sheet from my 99 with Stecs. BEFORE and after alignment. and yes one rear toe adjuster was siezed on the bushing. i fixed it and just eyeballed the toe... tho i did ALREADY have the 3washers on each bolt of that rear upper arm kinda odd how one side different so ill try taking out 1 washer on each bolt on that side next spring when i get the 99back on the road. but i wont be driving it much this year and as soon as it snows its geting storage insurance and parked till spring... but im not to worried about it. toe is the major killer of tires.
Name:  alignmentsheet004.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  294.9 KB