Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Coilovers and Struts

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Default Coilovers and Struts

Hey,

Well I am looking at getting coilovers and struts put in my new civic. I have been talking to a couple of people and a guy from my local customs shop and he has recommeneded a set of generic coilovers ($200 CAD for a set of 4) and 2 high end front 5 point adjustable struts($212 CAD Each) for the front. He recommended generic coilovers instead of higher end ones since this is my daily driver and I will be driving it in the winter so I will probably wreck them faster then normal. He said the ride will be pretty good with the high quality struts since I can change them from harderto softer. What do you guys think? He gave me the name of the struts and I wrote down what I thought I heard which was "kiko Alumina" but apparently that wasn't the name lol. If anyone knows what they might be please tell me.

Thanks for your time.

Jeff

Old 10-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Coilovers and Struts

Tokico Illumina i believe is what you're looking for. Tokico is a fairly well renowned name. I've never heard anyone talk trash about them. As for the generic springs, i'll leave that one to someone else who may have experience with them.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:48 PM
HCF Member

$412 for all that probably not too bad, though I dont know about the springs, but another alternative that you could consider are Dropzone coilovers and struts, I got mine from Ebay $288 shipped. The ride is nice, and they are adjustable from 0-4 inches. I think you would like them as much as what that custom shop recommended.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:59 PM

Tokico Illuminas are really nice dampers. I wouldn't recommend using them with cheap-*** coilover sleeves, as you'll basically just be sacrificing them. Why exactly do you need coilovers specifically instead of springs?

Old 10-07-2005, 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Kappa22

Tokico Illuminas are really nice dampers. I wouldn't recommend using them with cheap-*** coilover sleeves, as you'll basically just be sacrificing them. Why exactly do you need coilovers specifically instead of springs?
Hey,

Well I live in Canada so winters are kind of brutal and I like the ability to raise my car in the winter and lower it in spring/summer/fall without swapping springs. This is my daily driver so the ability to change it is nice. He said they where NOT R-Active coilovers becase apparently there **** and they might even be the drop zone. He said there low-mid end but not cap. Since I will probably trash them within 2 years (Aluminum and salt dont mix) I can pick up another set w/o killing the wallet.

Jeff

Old 10-07-2005, 01:52 PM
HCF Member

Well, if its your daily driver you really dont need race suspension IMO. But Dropszone has life time warranty for their sturts/coilovers.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...vic&category0=

Old 10-07-2005, 02:16 PM

Hi,

I know I don't really need it but its more for convenience. Ill see how they turn out and thanks for the link.

Jeff