Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Disc wear

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 05:48 AM
Default Disc wear

Hi,

I have a Civic type-s (just 2 years old), it has just under 20k miles on it, just had the 2nd service and they said the pads and disc will need replacing in about 5k miles. I was shocked by this as these are still the original pads so are they really telling me that the pads wear at the same rate as discs? Personally, I think it's an easy way for them to make money. How long should a set of discs last? I know that's a hard question as it all depends on the type of driving but I've not been that hard on them, for example, my last car did over 146k on one set of discs? How can I tell if they are close to the wear limit? What can I check? I don't mind replacing them if need be but I can't believe in this day and age that discs only last 20k miles!!!

What should the thinkness of new ones be and what thinkness do they need replacing at? Can I just take the wheel off and put a vernier on them?

Old 09-02-2005, 07:33 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Disc wear

First of all, screw the stealership and work on your brakes in your driveway, they are VERY easy. Second, i find it hard to believe, that theres anything wrong with the discs at 20k, unless they are warped. IF that was the case tho, they probably would have tried to make you get them done right then and there. Take your wheel off, and run your hand across the disc. If it seems smooth, and the outer edge is still completely intact (no rust spots breaking off)than your discs will be fine. As for the pads, a normal brand new pad is usually around 1/4 inch. Once it gets down to 1/16(this is the most you should let it go down in my opinion) thats when its time to change them. Check them out, or maybe even get a second opinion before you go donating money to the dealership fund. Hope this helps!

Old 09-02-2005, 07:46 AM

Forty, thanks for your info, I've just gone and looked at the front pads and discs (through alloy gaps) and the pads (outer) have about 10mm left on them, so to me, that sounds as if they are nearly brand new, as for the discs, there is a slight ridge and rust on the outer ridge but you can barely feel it (1mm maybe) but on the inner disc, it's a little bigger 2mm at a push, does that sound like that's much wear? I would love to tell me dealer to stick it but as the car's still under warranty, I have to do what they say as to not invalidate my warranty. TBH, it has really annoyed me, it's my first Honda and I'm not that impressed by the dealers.

I can't honestly believe that a car can eat discs within 25k miles

When is it necessary to change the discs?

Old 09-02-2005, 07:49 AM

Another things, on the paperwork, they've advised me to get the pads and discs changed in 6-7k, would it be worth getting them checked by another party? and if they find the pads and discs to be fine, write a letter to Honda head office informing them of my issue?

Old 09-02-2005, 09:32 AM
HCF Member

yeah, that sounds like what you should do. theres no way you should replace them for the amount of wear you described.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:41 AM

I would find another dealership to take your Civic to and see what they say. Chances are, they won't try to rip you off as bad as the original dealership.