Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

driveshafts..on lowering.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 12:09 PM
Default driveshafts..on lowering.

im dropping my civic 94 hatchback by 4-5 inches (cutting springs). Will i encounter any problems with driveshafts etc.

regards

Old 10-29-2004, 03:14 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: driveshafts..on lowering.

No, but you will encounter problems with those cut springs. You'd be better off buying a cheap set of springs off ebay for about $40 than doing that crap. It usually looks horrible, rides like ****, and could kill someone. So save some lives and spend $40. www.ebay.com <-- there you go.

Old 10-29-2004, 06:40 PM

Well id like you to give me one viable reason why cutting springs could kill someone?

Forget the crap about the spring will get weaker etc, i have cut 1000's of springs in my time and not once has any1 had any problems, let alone died!... the reason im not goin to purchase a set of uprated lowering springs is because i feel that they do not have the kind of drop i am looking for.

As for the 'looking ****e' bit il post pics up soon and we will let the forum decide.

Regards

Old 10-29-2004, 09:03 PM
HCF Member

if you lower a civic that much, you will blow out the shocks. that, combined with the lower rate springs, causes the car to bounce repeatedly over bumps, ive seen people that spin out on the freeway from simple lane changes because of that. cutting springs is just a bad idea. its like taking out the air filter. you might get away with it sometimes, but when it gives you problems, it will be HUGE problems, all in the name of saving a buck. and with adjustable coilovers, you can lower the car until it sits on the tires, so thats not an issue. oh, and you'll go through a lot of tires. the alignment will be thrashed.

Old 10-30-2004, 01:00 PM
HCF Member

is that one good enough for you?

Im not going to start a war or anything because you're going to do what you want to do no matter what some furum people say... it's just not safe at all.

Old 11-12-2004, 02:38 PM
HCF Member

This all depends whether he intends to drive the car. Some people only use their cars as show cars it never sees the public roads. In this case, a show car, would not matter if the springs are cut because he is just going for a slammed look.

On the other hand, if this car is indeed on the road, it can be very dangerous (for the reasons mentioned already).

Old 12-04-2004, 12:29 AM

I agree with Polo on this one. I've seen too many people put their mom's civic into the ditch because they thought it would be cool to chop-shop lower it. You really will be better off with eBay springs, even though your stock struts won't hold up too well. But if you do decide to go for cheap springs, DON'T get coilover sleeves (they're the ones that are like $40). Also, I know I'm being nit-picky (though I'm surprised no one else caught this): THEY AREN'T DRIVESHAFTS; THEY'RE AXLES!!! No anger or diss intended, BTW. Just clarifying.

Old 12-04-2004, 12:29 AM

Oh, I almost forgot to mention: DO NOT DROP YOUR CIVIC 5 INCHES