Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

drop it like its hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 04:19 AM
HCF Member
Default drop it like its hot

well i dont knowanything when it comes to suspension setups so here it goes, i have a 98 civic sedan w/ 17's and w/ stock suspension. i want to lower about 1/2 " in the front and about .3 " in the back, would adjustable struts do this or would i have to do coilovers? with what setup be good for a daily driver? i aint worry about $$ so as long it looks fantastic i ll be . i also have a problem, when i have ppl in the back my tire hits the wheel well if i stiffen the back part would it still do this?? any ideas and opinions would be great thanks guys?!

Old 08-17-2007, 05:00 AM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: drop it like its hot

you need springs to lower the car. Nobody makes anything for a 0.3" drop, that's practically nothing! Go with Tein H-tech or H&R OE sport. You can use those springs with yout stock shocks, but it would be a good idea to replace them with something new

Old 08-17-2007, 10:37 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: that_guy5

well i dont knowanything when it comes to suspension setups so here it goes, i have a 98 civic sedan w/ 17's and w/ stock suspension. i want to lower about 1/2 " in the front and about .3 " in the back, would adjustable struts do this or would i have to do coilovers? with what setup be good for a daily driver? i aint worry about $$ so as long it looks fantastic i ll be . i also have a problem, when i have ppl in the back my tire hits the wheel well if i stiffen the back part would it still do this?? any ideas and opinions would be great thanks guys?!
Adjustable coilovers.

You don't say what size tire you have. 205/40-17 is the size you'd want forthat year Civic. Anything taller or wider will be difficult to fit.Check your wheel width, wheel offset, and camber too.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I'd say coilovers if you want that odd of a drop (1/2" is nothing... even H-Techs lower 1.1")...

and personally, I have Ground Control coilovers with KYB AGX struts... right now, my car is lowered around 2.5" in front with minimal rubbing issues.. actually, the worst thing about my dd being that low is that I have to watch out when I park... my bumper is just ever so slightly lower than those parking curb things, so I get hung up on them when I go to back out sometimes lol

Old 08-17-2007, 03:33 PM

even a 1/2" drop is practically nothing, ur car probably drops that much with u and a passenger in the car lol.u'll probably end up wanting to be lower. an inch is fairly noticable and u still wont have to worry about speed bumps and whatnot. with 17's, depending on tire size and whatnot, i'd prolly shoot for somewhere around 1.5"-1.75" drop. since u want ppl in the back without rubbing, ur best bet would probably be adjustable coilovers with mildly stiff spring rates. that way u can adjust the height to which suites u best and also be stiff enough to not sag so much with weight added. matched with the right shocks, it'll still make for a livable daily driven ride.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:57 PM
HCF Member

well idk what tire size i have im not home to check it. how would i know if the coilover has stiff spring rate??